Trace of higher powers of Density Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the Quantum Liouville Equation and its implications for the conserved quantities Tr(\rho^k) and Tr(\rho^k H^m). The analysis shows that for a finite dimensional operator, Tr(\rho^k) is conserved for any integer k \geq 1, while for a time-independent H, Tr(\rho^k H^m) is conserved for k,m = 0, 1, ..., N-1. This is due to the fact that the diagonal elements of \rho and H are time independent in the energy basis.
maverick280857
Hi,

The Quantum Liouville Equation is [itex]\dot{\rho} = \frac{i}{\hbar}[\rho, H][/itex] where the dot denotes the partial derivative with respect to time [itex]t[/itex]. We take [itex]\hbar = 1[/itex] hereafter for convenience.

[tex]
Tr(\dot{\rho}) = 0
[/tex]

Consider [itex]Tr(\rho^2)[/itex] Differentiating with respect to time,

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}Tr(\rho^2) = Tr(2 \dot{\rho}\rho) = Tr(2 i[\rho, H]\rho) = 2i\,Tr((\rho H - H\rho)\rho) = 2i\,Tr(\rho H \rho - H\rho\rho) = 0
[/tex]

where we have used [itex]Tr(A B) = Tr(B A)[/itex] to arrive at the last equality, assuming that we are dealing with finite dimensional operators. Hence [itex]Tr(\rho^2)[/itex] is conserved.} Next, we consider [itex]Tr(\rho^3)[/itex]. Differentiating with time, as above, we get

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}Tr(\rho^3) = Tr(3 \rho^2 \dot{\rho})= 3i\,Tr(\rho^2 [\rho, H])= 3i\,Tr(\rho^2 \rho H - \rho^2 H\rho) = 0
[/tex]

More generally,

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}Tr(\rho^k) = Tr(k \rho^{k-1} \dot{\rho}} = 0
[/tex]

which holds for arbitrary integer [itex]k \geq 1[/itex]. Hence [itex]Tr(\rho^k)[/itex] is conserved for [itex]k \geq 1[/itex].

My analysis suggests that the trace of [itex]\rho^k[/itex] is invariant under evolution even for k > N, where N is the dimension of [itex]\rho[/itex].

Does this seem correct? I read somewhere that [itex]Tr(\rho^k)[/itex] is invariant for k = 1, 2, ..., N-1, where N is the dimension of [itex]\rho[/itex], and further that if [itex]H[/itex] is time-independent (we didn't use this above) then, [itex]Tr(\rho^k H^l)[/itex] is invariant for [itex]k,l = 0, 1, \ldots N-1[/itex]. How does this arise? I know it has to do with Cayley Hamilton theorem, but I don't understand why there ought to be an upper bound on the powers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it's correct. It's definitely correct for a time-independent H. In that case, you can write rho in the energy basis, and it's easy to see that the diagonal elements of rho (and any power of rho) are time independent.

Avodyne said:
I believe it's correct. It's definitely correct for a time-independent H. In that case, you can write rho in the energy basis, and it's easy to see that the diagonal elements of rho (and any power of rho) are time independent.

Thanks Avodyne. But why are there only (N-1) conserved quantities, where N is the dimension of the density matrix? My calculation suggests that the trace of all higher powers of the density matrix should be conserved.

Also, I don't get the part about [itex]Tr(\rho^k H^m)[/itex] being conserved for k, m = 0, 1, ..., N-1.

maverick280857 said:
Thanks Avodyne. But why are there only (N-1) conserved quantities, where N is the dimension of the density matrix? My calculation suggests that the trace of all higher powers of the density matrix should be conserved.
Since we require [itex]Tr(\rho)=1[/itex], there are only N-1 independent eigenvalues of [itex]\rho[/itex]. These can be taken to be the N-1 independent conserved quantities.
maverick280857 said:
Also, I don't get the part about [itex]Tr(\rho^k H^m)[/itex] being conserved for k, m = 0, 1, ..., N-1.
Again it's true for all k,m, by the same argument: in the energy basis, the diagonal elements of [itex]\rho^k[/itex] are time independent. Also, [itex]H^m[/itex] is diagonal and time independent, and hence the diagonal elements of [itex]\rho^k H^m[/itex] are time independent.

1. What is the trace of a higher power of the density matrix?

The trace of a higher power of the density matrix is a mathematical operation used to calculate the average energy of a quantum system. It involves taking the sum of the diagonal elements of the density matrix raised to a certain power. This value can provide information about the distribution of energy within the system.

2. How is the trace of a higher power of the density matrix related to the system's energy?

The trace of a higher power of the density matrix is directly related to the system's energy because it represents the average energy of the system. The higher the power of the density matrix, the more information about the energy distribution can be obtained.

3. Can the trace of a higher power of the density matrix be used to determine the state of a quantum system?

No, the trace of a higher power of the density matrix cannot be used to determine the state of a quantum system. It only provides information about the system's energy distribution and does not contain information about the individual states of the system.

4. How does the trace of a higher power of the density matrix change with time?

The trace of a higher power of the density matrix can change with time as the system evolves. This is because the system's energy distribution can change over time, resulting in a different value for the trace. The rate of change of the trace can also provide information about the dynamics of the system.

5. Is the trace of a higher power of the density matrix always a positive value?

No, the trace of a higher power of the density matrix can be a negative value. This can happen when the system has a negative energy distribution, which is possible in some quantum systems. However, in most cases, the trace is a positive value due to the nature of energy in quantum systems.