Eco-material selection. Shock absorber.

In summary, the conversation revolves around redesigning phone covers using eco-materials such as bamboo or cork. The main properties to consider are shock absorption, heat and humidity resistance, durability, and weight. The use of a material selection software and plotting a graph of young modulus vs price can help justify the choice of material. Further information on the extraction and manufacture of bamboo and cork is also needed. The main parameters for an eco-compatible choice include embodied energy and end of life considerations. It is also mentioned that phone covers are primarily designed to prevent scratches and not necessarily to protect against phone damage from drops.
ppbuzz
As part of an assignment I have to redisign a product using an eco-material.

I choose phone covers. From the silicone, rubber or plastic ones I intend to redisign using bamboo or cork.

I would like to have some insight on the matter, what are the main properties i should be looking for (e.g. shock absorption) and what should i plot (using a material selection software) to justify my choice. For example would a graph of young modulus Vs price be of interest?

Also any ideas on how bamboo and cork extraction and manufacture works?

What are the main parametres that make my choice eco compatible (e.g. embodied energy, end of life etc.).

Thank you for your answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Personally, I think that phone covers are really designed to keep the phone from getting scratched when they're in a pocket with keys/coins/etc.

I have never heard about someone dropping a phone and having it stop working because the electronics got jostled. It's always been the screen cracking that causes people I have known to need to get a new one, and the phone cover generally doesn't cover the screen.

Anecdotal and just my opinion - I could easily be wrong here.

That said, I would make sure that they wouldn't deform in the heat and humidity of a pocket, make sure they won't crack or split when banged, and make sure they're not too heavy.

1. What is the purpose of eco-material selection for shock absorbers?

Eco-material selection for shock absorbers involves choosing materials that are environmentally-friendly and sustainable, while still maintaining the necessary functionality and performance of the shock absorber. This helps reduce the environmental impact of the product and promotes a more sustainable manufacturing process.

2. What are some common eco-materials used for shock absorbers?

Some common eco-materials used for shock absorbers include recycled rubber, bio-based plastics, and sustainable metals such as aluminum or titanium. These materials are renewable and have a lower carbon footprint compared to traditional materials.

3. How does using eco-materials affect the performance of shock absorbers?

Choosing eco-materials for shock absorbers does not necessarily mean sacrificing performance. Many eco-materials have been developed specifically for use in high-performance applications, and can often provide similar or even better performance compared to traditional materials.

4. What are the main benefits of using eco-materials for shock absorbers?

The main benefits of using eco-materials for shock absorbers include reducing the environmental impact of the product, promoting sustainability, and potentially improving performance. Additionally, using eco-materials can also help companies meet regulatory requirements and reduce costs in the long term.

5. How does eco-material selection for shock absorbers impact the overall product lifecycle?

Eco-material selection for shock absorbers can have a significant impact on the product lifecycle. By choosing sustainable materials, the product can have a longer lifespan, reduce waste and emissions during manufacturing, and be more easily recycled at the end of its life. This can contribute to a more circular economy and reduce the overall environmental impact of the product.