Connection between the generators of the Galilean group and physical quantities

In summary, the Galilean group corresponds to energy, momentum, and other conserved quantities in classical mechanics. This approach starts with a symmetry principle and considers the symmetries of space-time, leading to the 10-dimensional Lie group of space-time symmetries. Each one-parameter subgroup gives a conserved quantity, including energy, momentum, angular momentum, and the center of mass. The group's Lie algebra has a non-trivial central charge, the system's total mass, which is important for quantum mechanics. This approach is nicely explained in Ballentine's book "Quantum Mechanics" and has been studied in depth by Jean-Marc Levy-Leblond. It has also been considered in classical mechanics textbooks, such as the one by
kith
Science Advisor
How can I see that the generators of the Galilean group correspond to energy, momentum, etc.?

References which cover the Galilean group and algebra as well as their realization in phase space are appreciated, especially if they are not too sophisticated.

Thanks
kith

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I have to post this in the Quantum Physics Forum? ;-)

I think this is a quite general topic and not only interesting in the context of quantum theory. In quantum theory, however, this approach becomes very important to define observables.

The basic idea behind the group theoretical approach is to start from a symmetry principle. Most fundamental are the symmetries of the space-time description. In the case of classical Newtonian physics the space-time structure is determined by the proper orthochronous Galilei group, which is a semidirect product of translations in space and time, rotations in space, and boosts, making up the 10-dimensional Lie group of space-time symmetries.

Each one-parameter subgroup leads, according to Noether's theorems, to a conserved quantity for closed systems. Thus we have 10 conserved quantities for any closed system, i.e., energy (time translations), 3 momentum components (spatial translations), 3 angular momentum components (spatial rotations) and the three coordinates of the center of mass (boosts).

In analyzing the properties of the Galilei group in terms of its Lie algebra, you find a little subtlety: There is a non-trivial central charge, the total mass of the system, which then can be interpreted as an 11th conservation law for mass. This is important for quantum theory, since there only the corresponding central extension of the Galilei group's covering group (substituting the rotation group SO(3) by its covering group, SU(2)) gives a physically meaningful dynamics of quantum systems.

All this is pretty nicely written up in

Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific 1998.

Thanks vanhees71! The corresponding chapter in Ballentine's book seems very interesting.

However, I wonder if there aren't any texts about classical mechanics which cover this. Phase space, Poisson brackets, Hamiltonian mechanics, Galilei transformations, Noether's theorem, etc. are treated in almost all textbooks. But I haven't seen any, where we start with a realization of the Galilean group acting on phase space, and derive Poisson brackets for the generators as well as their physical significance for example systems from that. This seems like the natural setting to derive Noether's theorem in. And it's propably the line of reasoning, Ballentine uses, too.

Well, maybe some textbooks about geometrical mechanics do a similar thing. But they seem very mathematical to me, while the basic approach, as just outlined, sounds quite simple.

Last edited:
I've tried something like this in a manuscript on classical mechanics. It's in German, but perhaps you get some idea, because the "formula density" is quite high :-).

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq/mech/node47.html

Thanks again! This looks very promising. It will probably take a couple of days for me to read it.

Galilean symmetry has been studied intensively Jean-Marc Levy-Leblond

one citation which considers more the classical mechanics point of view is:

Reference Type: Journal Article
Author: Lévy-Leblond, Jean-Marc
Primary Title: Group-theoretical foundations of classical mechanics: The Lagrangian gauge problem
Journal Name: Communications in Mathematical Physics
Cover Date: 1969-03-01
Publisher: Springer Berlin / Heidelberg
Issn: 0010-3616
Subject: Physik und Astronomie
Start Page: 64
End Page: 79
Volume: 12
Issue: 1
Url: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01646436
Doi: 10.1007/BF01646436
Abstract: This paper is devoted to the study of the classical, single and free particle...

1. What is the Galilean group and how is it related to physical quantities?

The Galilean group is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the symmetries and transformations of physical laws. It is composed of the three-dimensional translations, rotations, and Galilean boosts. These transformations are directly related to physical quantities such as position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How are the generators of the Galilean group determined?

The generators of the Galilean group are determined using the Lie algebra, which is a mathematical tool used to describe the structure of a group. In the case of the Galilean group, the generators are the operators that generate the transformations of translations, rotations, and Galilean boosts.

3. What is the significance of the generators of the Galilean group in physics?

The generators of the Galilean group have a direct physical interpretation and can be used to determine the symmetries and conservation laws of a system. For example, the generator of translation invariance corresponds to the conservation of linear momentum, while the generator of rotational invariance corresponds to the conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does the Galilean group differ from the Lorentz group?

The Galilean group and the Lorentz group are both groups used in physics to describe symmetries and transformations. However, the Galilean group is applicable to classical mechanics and does not take into account relativistic effects, while the Lorentz group is used in special relativity where the speed of light is constant and invariant.

5. Can the Galilean group be extended to include more symmetries?

Yes, the Galilean group can be extended to include more symmetries by including additional generators. This extended group is known as the extended Galilean group and is used in more complex physical systems, such as those involving electromagnetic fields.