What is the equation for torque in an MRI scanner?

In summary: This is because the other half of the torque is experienced by the magnetic field itself, which is fixed in place. In summary, the equation for torque is τ = χVBsinθ/μ, and the textbooks may differ slightly due to different assumptions and factors taken into account.
dhigger
There are (at least) two issues regarding the presence of ferromagnetic materials around an MRI scanner (of strength e.g. 3 Tesla).
(i) that something (e.g. scissors in a health worker's pocket) becomes a projectile, and
(ii) that an implant may experience a twisting force (e.g. ferromagnetic shrapnel or bullets or a needle or other implanted medical device with ferromagnetic parts).

I am trying to determine the equation relating the torque τ experienced by an object, to
the magnetic susceptibility of a material χ
the static magnetic field strength B
the volume of the material V
the angle it makes with B, θ

I am stuck because my derivation doesn't agree with the textbooks I have. My working is:

The magnetisation of a sample which is not a permanent magnet is given by M=χH, where χ is the (dimensionless) magnetic susceptibility of the sample. We may also write B=μ[itex]_{0}[/itex](1+χ)=μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]μ[itex]_{r}[/itex]H=μH, where μ0 is the (constant) permeability of free space (units of henries per metre, or Newtons per ampere squared), μ[itex]_{r}[/itex] is the (dimensionless) relative permeability of the sample to μ[itex]_{0}[/itex], μ is the magnetic permeability of the sample, B is the magnetic field strength as flux density (Tesla) and H is magnetic field strength given in ampere-turns per metre. We may write, then, M=χB/μ.

So, torque (τ) is given by τ = m x B (where m denotes the magnetic dipole moment, which equals the magnetisation of a sample (M) multiplied by the volume of the sample (V)). Thus, |τ| = mBsinθ where θ is the angle between the magnetic moment and the applied magnetic field. In terms of the magnetisability of a sample (χ), |τ| = χVB[itex]^{2}[/itex]sinθ/μ (using M=χB/μ and m=MV).

One textbook says |τ| [itex]\propto[/itex] χ[itex]^{2}[/itex]VB[itex]^{2}[/itex].
It seems that either I am missing one “χ” or my textbook has one “χ” too many.
Another says F[itex]_{rot}[/itex] [itex]\approx[/itex] χ[itex]^{2}[/itex]VB[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2Lμ[itex]_{0}[/itex], where L is the length of the object.

Thanks for any pointers.

Edit: sorry, probably this should be in the homework forum. I'd move it if I could.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for torque is correct. The textbook equation you mention (|τ| \propto χ^{2}VB^{2}) may be derived by assuming that the magnetic susceptibility of a sample (χ) is inversely proportional to the length of the object (L), i.e. χ \propto 1/L. This is because the magnetisation of a sample decreases with increasing length, and thus the magnetic susceptibility decreases as well. So, in this case, the equation for torque can be written as |τ| \propto VB^{2}/Lμ_{0}.The other equation you mention (F_{rot} \approx χ^{2}VB^{2}/2Lμ_{0}) is essentially the same, but takes into account a factor of 1/2 to account for the fact that the torque experienced by the object is only half of the total torque.

What is torque in an MRI scanner?

Torque in an MRI scanner refers to the force that causes the rotational movement of an object. In the context of MRI scanners, it is the force that causes an object, such as a patient's body part, to rotate within the strong magnetic field of the scanner.

Why is torque important in MRI scanners?

Torque is important in MRI scanners because it can cause discomfort or even injury to the patient if it is not controlled properly. It can also affect the quality of the images produced by the scanner if the patient moves too much due to torque.

How is torque controlled in MRI scanners?

To control torque in MRI scanners, specialized equipment such as gradient coils are used. These coils produce counteracting forces to the torque, keeping the patient's body part in place and minimizing any rotational movement.

What factors affect torque in MRI scanners?

The strength of the magnetic field, the size of the patient, and the orientation of the patient's body part in relation to the magnetic field are some of the factors that can affect torque in MRI scanners. The stronger the magnetic field and the larger the patient, the greater the torque.

Is torque in MRI scanners dangerous?

Torque in MRI scanners can be dangerous if it is not properly controlled. If a patient moves too much due to torque, it can cause discomfort or even injury. However, with proper equipment and techniques, the risks associated with torque can be minimized.