What to build for high school project?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a model of a particle accelerator for a high school physics project. The person is looking for instructions on how to build a model, specifically using a ping pong ball and conductive materials. They mention a video they saw of someone using a similar technique, and also suggest using a 'gaussian gun' or a voltage multiplier. The conversation ends with the person asking if there is a simple way to build the model without taking apart a TV monitor.
ratiugo
I'm doing a high school physics project on particle accelerators. I know it's not realistic to build an actual particle accelerator, but I'd love to be able to build some model of something that works to go along with the powerpoint. I saw a video of someone using a ping pong ball with conductive paint and copper tape to accelerate the ping pong ball, and I wanted to do something of that sort but couldn't find instructions. If anyone knows of something I could build and has instructions that would be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a demonstration of the Bernoulli Effect:

Last edited by a moderator:
How about using 'gaussian gun', it is about metal balls accelerates due to the attractions of magnetic forces, maybe it is the same as Vodkacannon's idea.

http://www.miniscience.com/kits/Gauss_Rifle/ <- maybe this link can help you to get the idea.

This is the video I initially saw:

After some research, I believe it's basically a bowl with aluminum or copper tape strips, and a conductive ping pong ball. Applying a high voltage creates the electric field. Is there a simple way to build something like this without taking apart a TV monitor?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some ideas for a high school science project?

There are endless possibilities for science projects for high school students. Some ideas include investigating the effects of different types of music on plant growth, designing and testing a solar-powered car, or studying the impact of various household cleaners on bacteria growth. It is important to choose a topic that interests you and aligns with your strengths and resources.

2. How can I make my science project stand out?

To make your science project stand out, think outside the box and choose a unique topic. You can also incorporate creative elements such as multimedia presentations or interactive demonstrations. It is also important to conduct thorough research and present your findings in a clear and organized manner.

3. How do I come up with a hypothesis for my science project?

A hypothesis is a statement that predicts the outcome of your experiment. To come up with a hypothesis, first identify the problem or question you want to address in your project. Then, research the topic and use your knowledge and observations to form a prediction about the outcome. Make sure your hypothesis is testable and based on scientific principles.

4. What are the important elements of a successful science project?

A successful science project should have a clear and well-defined question or problem to investigate, a testable hypothesis, a well-designed experiment with controlled variables, and reliable data collection methods. Additionally, a successful project should have thorough analysis and interpretation of the data, and a clear and organized presentation of the results.

5. How can I make my science project both educational and fun?

To make your science project both educational and fun, choose a topic that interests you and aligns with your strengths and resources. You can also incorporate interactive elements such as experiments, demonstrations, or games to engage your audience. Additionally, make sure to present your project in an engaging and creative manner that will keep your audience interested and learning.