Geometry of an Egg: Is Bottom Half a Hemisphere?

In summary, the discussion is about whether the bottom half of an egg is a hemisphere and which half of an egg is considered the top and which is the bottom. The conversation brings up the fact that whenever an egg is depicted, it is typically shown in the same orientation. It also mentions that the question is most likely referring to a chicken egg, as it is the most commonly discussed type of egg. The conversation ends with a link to a summary that suggests the answer is yes, the bottom half of an egg is a hemisphere, but also brings up the fact that an egg shape is not a perfect hemisphere and that an egg can balance on its side when spun.
Ontophile
Is the bottom half of an egg a hemisphere?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do eggs have a top half and a bottom half? If so which is which? What sort of eggs are you referring to?

I'm sorry. I thought it was rather intuitive which half of an egg is the top and which is the bottom. Whenever an egg is drawn or otherwise depicted, it is almost always oriented the same way, and so I'm having trouble believing that there is any real confusion here. Besides, my question immediately suggests which half I'm talking about, since only one half is even possibly a candidate for being a hemisphere. Furthermore, most English speakers are referring to a chicken egg whenever the type of egg that they're talking about isn't specified. The rigor you seem to require is superfluous. Your confusion isn't real, it's forced or performed, just for the sake of being difficult. No matter; someone reasonable will come along soon and answer my question.

Ontophile said:
I'm sorry. I thought it was rather intuitive which half of an egg is the top and which is the bottom. Whenever an egg is drawn or otherwise depicted, it is almost always oriented the same way, and so I'm having trouble believing that there is any real confusion here. Besides, my question immediately suggests which half I'm talking about, since only one half is even possibly a candidate for being a hemisphere. Furthermore, most English speakers are referring to a chicken egg whenever the type of egg that they're talking about isn't specified. The rigor you seem to require is superfluous. Your confusion isn't real, it's forced or performed, just for the sake of being difficult. No matter; someone reasonable will come along soon and answer my question.

No. It is not. It has bumps.

Ontophile said:
Whenever an egg is drawn or otherwise depicted, it is almost always oriented the same way, and so I'm having trouble believing that there is any real confusion here.

Really? Look at the pictures on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_egg.

The natural orientation for an egg is in stable equilibrium on its side, not standing on one whichever end you think is the bottom.

But let's not restart the Big-Endian and Little-Endian disputes in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilliput_and_Blefuscu. :smile:

Ontophile said:

It was correct of me to ask for clarification. When I read your question I imagined that you were doing some sort of project and different types of eggs popped into my mind, birds eggs, insect eggs, human eggs, fish eggs etc.

Likes 1 person
The following link has a pretty nice summary. It suggests the answer is YES.

http://www.mi.sanu.ac.rs/vismath/rojas/index.html

However according to this picture from wiki, neither end of an ovoid is usually a full hemisphere. I don't know if these geometric versions of an egg shape really correspond to a birds egg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Owal_by_Zureks.svg

Also did you know that if you spin a hard boiled egg fairly fast on its side on a flat surface, it will sit up on its fat end? I guess that's to minimise its angular momentum, but it never ceases to amaze me.

1. What is the geometry of an egg?

The geometry of an egg is typically described as an oblong or elliptical shape, with one end being more pointed and the other end being more rounded.

2. Is an egg a perfect sphere?

No, an egg's shape is not a perfect sphere. It is closer to an oblate spheroid, meaning it is slightly flattened at the poles and bulging at the equator.

3. Is the bottom half of an egg a hemisphere?

No, the bottom half of an egg is not a perfect hemisphere. While it may have a curved shape, it is not a half of a perfect sphere.

4. Why is the top half of an egg more pointed than the bottom half?

This is due to the shape of a bird's reproductive system. The egg's pointed end is where the egg exits the bird's body, and the shape helps it to pass through the reproductive tract more easily.

5. Can eggs from different animals have different geometries?

Yes, the geometry of an egg can vary between different species of animals. For example, bird eggs are generally more elongated while reptile eggs are more spherical.