Finding the New Azimuth Bearing for Triangulation in Geomagnetic Bearings

• Thread starter getting2it
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a new azimuth bearing to move 20 feet from point A to point B, while maintaining the same distance of 87.8333 feet. The solution involves using the formula 2πr, where r is the radius, and dividing the circumference by 360 and multiplying it by 20. The conversation also mentions dealing with geomagnetic bearings and not needing to convert to True North.
getting2it
Draw this description out on a piece of paper if you would like. I cannot figure this out, it has been years since I have done math at this level.

I am standing at point A and have a distance of 87.8333 feet to Point B, my azimuth bearing is 123 degrees. I want to move over 20 feet and find the bearing to the same point B, this distance will also be 87.8333 feet. So I want to triangulate. The question is: What would my new azimuth bearing be to get to Point B, also please show how to solve. Note: I am dealing with geomagnetic bearings, no need to convert to True North.

Thank You

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh my goodness, after posting above I was sitting here thinking and I remembered 2 pi r squared.

so 2 x r x pi = circumference Divided by 360 times 20 gives me the new bearing. basics basics, thanks anyway to all of you.

Last edited:

1. What is an azimuth problem in real life?

An azimuth problem in real life refers to a situation where a person or object needs to determine their direction relative to a fixed reference point, using the azimuth angle. This can be thought of as the horizontal angle between the observer and the target, measured clockwise from the north direction.

2. How is the azimuth angle calculated?

The azimuth angle is typically measured using a compass, which provides a reading in degrees from 0 to 360. This reading can then be used to determine the direction of the target relative to the observer.

3. What are some examples of real life azimuth problems?

Real life azimuth problems can arise in various situations, such as navigation at sea or in the air, surveying land, and orienting satellite dishes. They can also be encountered in everyday activities, such as using a map and compass to find a hiking trail or determining the direction of a sunset.

4. How is an azimuth problem solved?

To solve an azimuth problem, the observer must first determine their location and the location of the target. Then, using a compass or other tools, they can measure the azimuth angle and calculate the direction of the target relative to their location.

5. What are some challenges in solving real life azimuth problems?

Solving azimuth problems can be challenging due to various factors such as magnetic declination, which causes the compass to point slightly off from true north, and changing environmental conditions that can affect the accuracy of measurements. It is also important to consider the level of precision required for the specific application.