Solving a Photographic Puzzle: Comparing Heights of Images at Varying Distances

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a photograph of a zebra taken at different distances with the same 50mm lens. The question is about the ratio of the height of the image in the second picture to the height in the first picture. The speaker believes the ratio is 2:1 because of the distance ratio and the use of the same lens, but is unsure about using the 50mm lens as the focal length. They provide calculations for both distances and question the relationship between the di in each case. The speaker also mentions that the height of the object remains the same in both cases and provides their calculations for the ratio as 2:1.
mathzing
hey, i tried the following problem and i think i got it wrong well. here is the problem and what i did.

problem
A photograph of a zebra is taken from a distance of 100m with a 50mm lens. A second picture is taken from a distance of 50m with the same lens. What is the ratio of the height of the image in the second picture to the height in the first picture?

What i did
well. its obvious that the ratio is 2:1 because the distance of image int eh 100m to the distance of the 50m picture is 2:1 and the fact that it uses the same lens proves it. but my main issue with the problem is that i can't understand weather the 50mm lens can be used as the focal length of the problem. well I used it and here is what i got:

for the 100m:
1/f = 1/do + 1/di

so: 1/0.050 = 1/100 + 1/di

5di/0.050 = 5di/100 + 5di/di

100di = 0.05di + 5

100di - 0.05di = 5

99.95di = 5

99.95di/99.95 = 5/99.95

Therefore: di = 0.050025012

Note: to get the height of the image or object the equation is:

M = hi/ho = -di/do

I have the di and do but I don’t understand how I get hi or ho
M is the magnification For the 50m:

1/f = 1/do + 1/di

So: 1/0.050 = 1/50 + 1/di

2.5di/0.050 = 2.5di/50 + 2.5di/di
50di = 0.050di + 2.5

50di – 0.050di = 2.5

49.95di = 2.5

49.95di/49.95 = 2.5/49.95

Therefore: di = 0.05005005

..here is the confusing part: the di of the 100 its half of the di or the 50 which I think it should be, and I don’t see how I can get the highet of the image.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it help to point out that the height of the object remains the same in both cases?

ok

i know that the ho reamains the same but i don't know how i can show the relation between both cases? i don't understand how to get the ratio.

edit: here is what i did..tell me if it is right

case1
hi/ho = 0.050025012/100

hi/ho = 0.0005052012

case2
hi/ho = 0.05005005/50

hi/ho = 0.0010010010.001001001/0.0005052012

= 2.00100101 about 2

therefore the ratio is 2:1

is that right?

Last edited:
so is it right?

1. How do I measure the height of an image at different distances?

To measure the height of an image at different distances, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance between the camera and the object in the photograph. Then, using the same measuring tool, measure the height of the object in the photograph. Finally, divide the height of the object by the distance to get the height of the image at that specific distance.

2. How many images do I need to solve a photographic puzzle?

The number of images needed to solve a photographic puzzle will depend on the complexity of the puzzle and the amount of information you have about the images. In general, having at least two images with known heights at different distances will help you determine the relationship between the height and distance of the object in the photographs.

3. Can I use any type of camera to solve a photographic puzzle?

Yes, you can use any type of camera to solve a photographic puzzle as long as it captures the necessary information to measure the height of the image at different distances. However, using a camera with a zoom lens may make it easier to capture images at varying distances.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of my measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of your measurements when solving a photographic puzzle. These can include the angle of the camera, lighting conditions, and the stability of the camera while taking the photographs. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to ensure accurate measurements.

5. How can I use the height measurements to solve the puzzle?

Once you have measured the height of the image at different distances, you can plot this information on a graph and look for patterns or relationships between the distance and height. This can help you determine the scale factor or ratio between the distance and height, which can then be used to solve the puzzle and determine the heights of objects in the photographs at unknown distances.