Vanishing Shoes: Flip Flop Mystery

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: King John never returned, it's micro black holes that evaporate after sucking your stuff up. duh! My locker, backpack and room get them continually.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Yes the latest in a long line of things that vanish from my house, this one, my
flip flop, just the right one, i used them every day in the house up until last
week, when i was forced to stay in bed, now when i need them one has vanished, the house has been searched high and low, it is so strange as not
long ago one of a pair of shoes vanished, i would be so happy if just one of
things that vanished turned up in some strange place, but to date no luck :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you fail to pay homage to St Crispan?

Here in Guam we call them "zories." I wonder what the singular for zories is?

hypatia said:
Did you fail to pay homage to St Crispan?

I will have to look him up, but i will give him some homage if he stops my stuff
going missing, anyone one that can give a rational explanation as to where
my stuff goes and stop these vanishings will be richly rewarded :smile:

hmm I have no idea where one flip flop would go if it wanted to hide. But whenever I lose something, there's this superstition (I think it's greek) of tying three knots on a piece of string and then throwing it behind your back. works everytime. :smile:

Naw... he'll just lose that too.

Danger said:
Naw... he'll just lose that too.

Danger, i do not loose these blasted things, i wish i could be the culprit, but
my things vanish when i am not around, i am quite tired now, but i assure you
i do not jest and this thread is in no way funny to me, i am getting really peed
off from searching for these things, so much so that i would gladly pay some
one to uncover the hiding place of my stuff :smile:

Have you checked your attic for squirrels? (Not just being euphamistic here...:uhh: )
If you have left access for the great outdoors to invade, something could be snagging your stuff for nesting material or just because it's interesting. I'm thinking packrats, squirrels, chipmunks etc..

Danger said:
Have you checked your attic for squirrels? (Not just being euphamistic here...:uhh: )
If you have left access for the great outdoors to invade, something could be snagging your stuff for nesting material or just because it's interesting. I'm thinking packrats, squirrels, chipmunks etc..

I would love to see some of those little critters, but we have nothing bigger
than mice around here, apart from the occasional visit by a hedgehog thats
about it :smile:

Have you checked the dog bed or dog droppings for evidence of slipper remains? :uhh: If you had lost the entire pair, that might make more sense that you just took them off somewhere and forgot where, but to lose only one is pretty difficult. Usually the second one is fairly close to the first. Have you checked inside the laundry basket? Perhaps they got picked up with bath towels tossed on top of them when on the floor, or with bed coverings if you have any tendency to sit on your bed with the slippers on?

Moonbear said:
Have you checked the dog bed or dog droppings for evidence of slipper remains? :uhh: If you had lost the entire pair, that might make more sense that you just took them off somewhere and forgot where, but to lose only one is pretty difficult. Usually the second one is fairly close to the first. Have you checked inside the laundry basket? Perhaps they got picked up with bath towels tossed on top of them when on the floor, or with bed coverings if you have any tendency to sit on your bed with the slippers on?
Hi, Moonbear.
:rofl: Benji is not a chewy dog, and yes we have searched everywhere, in the
washing machine, down the furnature, in the dust bin, under the furnature,
every cupboard and draw, we were determined to find it we have even looked
in the compost bin, it has just vanished along with my shoe and other stuff :grumpy:

Given the envelopes and credit card you mentioned in the other thread, I am pretty sure it's a human taking all this stuff.

What you might do is check into one of those NannyCams. Don't tell ANYONE you have it, and set it up to get a good shot of your room.

One word - large spiders. Ok, that's two words. :tongue:

Did King John ever return?

Its micro black holes that evaporate after sucking your stuff up. duh! My locker, backpack and room get them continually.

wolram said:
Hi, Moonbear.
:rofl: Benji is not a chewy dog, and yes we have searched everywhere, in the
washing machine, down the furnature, in the dust bin, under the furnature,
every cupboard and draw, we were determined to find it we have even looked
in the compost bin, it has just vanished along with my shoe and other stuff :grumpy:
Have you asked the dryer about it? Socks might just be a gateway drug, and now the dryer has moved onto hardcore slippers and flipflops! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Have you asked the dryer about it? Socks might just be a gateway drug, and now the dryer has moved onto hardcore slippers and flipflops! :biggrin:
Yep it is definitely related to the missing sock phenomena, which in itself is related to the space time continuum, both of which depend on a parallel universe to exist. Unless of course the flipflop is floating around in another dimension.

If the latter is the case your objects will return in a time period that is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend looking for them to the 10th power. The longer you look for things the longer it takes for them to reappear.
When I was a young man I lost my wallet in a barn. I looked for it for two days. It was found twenty years later when the barn was torn down. My money and my pictures were still inside the wallet.(true story)

Evo said:
One word - large spiders. Ok, that's two words. :tongue:
Did King John ever return?

No he didn't :tongue2: And no chocolates for you this xmas :grumpy:

edward said:
Yep it is definitely related to the missing sock phenomena, which in itself is related to the space time continuum, both of which depend on a parallel universe to exist. Unless of course the flipflop is floating around in another dimension.
If the latter is the case your objects will return in a time period that is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend looking for them. The longer you look for things the longer it takes for them to reappear.
When I was a young man I lost my wallet in a barn. I looked for it for two days. It was found twenty years later when the barn was torn down. My money and my pictures were still inside the wallet.(true story)

All i can say is, Wow:biggrin:

edward said:
I think the lesson to be learned from this is that Wolram should tear his house down.

zoobyshoe said:
I think the lesson to be learned from this is that Wolram should tear his house down.

Ok, zoobie if i can have some help rebuilding, i don't care about the flip flop
just its vanishing, pay pal is the medium for £50 to the one that solves it.

Even if your dog doesn't chew things, are you sure that he doesn't run off with them? My cat steals whatever she can get her hands on and hides it.

wolram said:
Ok, zoobie if i can have some help rebuilding, i don't care about the flip flop
just its vanishing, pay pal is the medium for £50 to the one that solves it.

Remove all of your clothing and shoes from the house. Now find a person who has a search and rescue dog. Let the dog get your bodily scent, preferably from under your arm, or from a shoe you are wearing. Leave the premisis, Then turn the dog loose in the house. Shoes hold your scent for months.

Danger said:
Even if your dog doesn't chew things, are you sure that he doesn't run off with them? My cat steals whatever she can get her hands on and hides it.
Apart from food the only thing Benji has in his mouth is his------, he is sat in front of me now giving it a good wash.

Don't let jealousy overwhelm you; get back on track.

edward said:
Remove all of your clothing and shoes from the house. Now find a person who has a search and rescue dog. Let the dog get your bodily scent, preferably from under your arm, or from a shoe you are wearing. Leave the premisis, Then turn the dog loose in the house. Shoes hold your scent for months.

Good idea Edward, but i am sort of house bound for a while, and where am i going to find a search and rescue dog ?

Danger said:
Don't let jealousy overwhelm you; get back on track.

:rofl: I wish. :tongue2:

1. What is the "Vanishing Shoes: Flip Flop Mystery"?

The "Vanishing Shoes: Flip Flop Mystery" refers to a phenomenon where flip flops, also known as thongs or sandals, seem to disappear in large numbers in certain coastal regions. This has been observed in places like Hawaii, Australia, and the Caribbean.

2. Why do flip flops vanish in these coastal regions?

There are a few theories as to why this happens. One possibility is that strong ocean currents or storms may sweep them away. Another theory is that marine animals, such as sea turtles or dolphins, may mistake them for food and swallow them. It is also possible that people intentionally discard their old flip flops on the beach, contributing to the high number of disappearances.

3. How many flip flops go missing each year?

It is difficult to determine an exact number, as this phenomenon has not been extensively studied. However, some estimates suggest that hundreds of thousands of flip flops are lost each year in these coastal regions.

4. What impact does the loss of flip flops have on the environment?

The loss of flip flops can have negative impacts on the environment. They can contribute to pollution and harm marine life if they end up in the ocean. They may also wash up on shorelines, creating an eyesore and disrupting ecosystems.

5. Can anything be done to prevent flip flop disappearances?

One way to prevent flip flop disappearances is to properly dispose of them and not leave them on the beach or in the ocean. Some organizations also have programs in place to collect and recycle old flip flops. Additionally, using more durable and eco-friendly materials for flip flops may help reduce the environmental impact of their loss.