Permutations are these not correct?

In summary, Jon's three questions are about permutations, which are the combinations of things that can happen. For homework, Jon was supposed to find the different combinations of 11 people for three different arrangements, but his answers were incorrect. He was then asked to permute four different groups of people around a circular table, but he was still confused. Finally, Jon provided a summary of how to solve a problem involving a three-digit number that is made up of only the digits 1, 2, and 5.
rocketboy
Ok, for some reason my answers for the following 3 questions we were given for homework on permutations are wrong (according to the answers in the back of the text).

I was hoping that somebody could point me in the right direction, these basic ones should be simple for me. Thanks!

In how many ways can 11 players be seated on a bench so that Joey and Jill are not seated next to each other?

arrangements = total arrangements - arrangements where they are together
arrangements = 11! - 10!
arrangements = 36 288 000...text had 32 659 200

In how many ways can four men and four women be seated around a circular table if each man must be flanked by two women?

i arranged the men first, then the women... i said that the first man has 8 possible seats, the second has 3 (because he can't sit beside another man and there has to be room for 2 women beside him) and the third has 2, and the last man has 1 possible seat. This leaves 4 seats for the first women, 3 for the second, 2 for the third, and 1 left for the last women to sit down.

thus, arrangements = (8 x 3 x 2 x 1) + (4!) = 72 text had 144

In how many ways can you form a three-digit number using only the digits of the number 21 150?

well, since it has to be 3 digits, 0 cannot be the first or second.
that leave's 4 digits to be put in the first and second places, and 5 for the last. divide by 2! because of the repeated 1.

thus, arrangements = (4 x 4 x 5) / 2 = 40 ways text has 26

-Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
rocketboy said:
In how many ways can you form a three-digit number using only the digits of the number 21 150?

why can't the second number be 0? isn't 201 a 3-digit number?

arrangements = total arrangements - arrangements where they are together
arrangements = 11! - 10!
arrangements = 36 288 000...text had 32 659 200

11! - 2*10!. Joey can sit to the right or left of Jill.

Thanks, I should have seen those.

But I still don't get the correct answer for the table question or the digits question.

if we're using the digits from 21 150 to form a 3 digit number...

then in the first spot we can have a 2, 1, or 5
in the second spot we can have a 2, 1, 5, or 0
and in the third spot we can also have a 2, 1, 5, 0

that means we can have 3 x 4 x 4 arrangements = 48 arrangements

but...there are repeats in that so we have to subtract those repeats which are:

if 2 appears in 3 or 2 spots = 3! spots
if 1 appears in 3 or 2 spots = 3! spots
if 5 appears in 3 or 2 spots = 3! spots
if 0 appears in 2 spots, that's 2 spots

so we subtract a total of 6+6+6+2 = 20?

i have to go for dinner...hehe...i will continue trying after.

Last edited:
1) Except Joey and Jill, you have 9 other players. Permute these 9 players. The 9 players have 10 possible space between them, then choose 2 out of these 10 space. Then permute Joey and Jill. Multiply all these possibilities:
9!2!(10C2)=as required.

2) For this kind circular sitting problem, you have to fix a people as a reference. I choose fix a man, then other men's position is 3 permute. Between these men you have 4 position for 4 women, then 4 permute:
3!4!= as required.

3) This one is tricky for me. It could be easy if the string we want to for is same length as the original string. But we must form a 3 bit string from a 5 bit string in this question. I don't really know. Can someone help?

Here is a computer generated possibility set.

101 125 215 520
102 150 250 521
105 151 251
110 152 501
112 201 502
115 205 510
120 210 511
121 211 512

rocketboy said:
that leave's 4 digits to be put in the first and second places, and 5 for the last. divide by 2! because of the repeated 1.
thus, arrangements = (4 x 4 x 5) / 2 = 40 ways text has 26
-Jon
For #3, you can do it a little bit differently from what you did here. First, calculate the total ways to write a 3-digit number with only 2, 1, 5, 0.
That'll be:
3 * 3 * 2 = 18 ways.
This is the number of ways of writing a 3-digit number that has only 1 digit '1' in it.
Then calculate the total way that had 2 digits '1' in it.
* denotes some number chosen randomly from (2, 5, 0)
1*1 = 3 ways.
*11 = 2 ways.
11* = 3 ways.
Now add them together, and see what you get. :wink:
Is it clear enough?
Viet Dao,

What are permutations?

Permutations are arrangements of a set of objects in a particular order. They are used in mathematics and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given situation.

How do you calculate permutations?

To calculate permutations, you can use the formula n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each arrangement. Alternatively, you can use a permutation calculator or a combination calculator to determine the number of permutations.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations take into account the order of objects in an arrangement, whereas combinations do not. This means that in permutations, the order matters, while in combinations, the order does not matter.

Can you give an example of permutations in real life?

One example of permutations in real life is the different ways you can arrange a deck of playing cards. Each order of the 52 cards is a unique permutation, resulting in a total of 52! (over 8x10^67) possible permutations.

How are permutations used in science?

Permutations are used in science to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in experiments. They are also used in the field of genetics to determine the possible combinations of genes in offspring. Additionally, permutations are used in data analysis and modeling to study patterns and relationships.