Deposit Indium Film on Metal Bar - Cheap Prototyping Method

In summary, the individual is looking for a cheap method to deposit a layer of indium with a thickness of 10-100 microns on a metal bar for a thermal connector application. They have considered soldering and using an electron evaporator beam, but are now looking for reference tables to calculate the mixture needed for electroplating. Another suggestion was to melt bulk indium onto the connector using an indium flux. They are now seeking information on how to determine the correct solution for electroplating.
Fusiontron
I want to deposit a layer of indium with a thickness of 10-100 microns on a metal bar. What would be cheap method for prototyping this? I am considering either soldering the indium and then flattening it or using an electron evaporator beam. Any other suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

I've decided to go with an electroplating method. Are there any reference tables for calculating a mixture to gain the desired thickness of ~100 microns on a copper surface?

Evaporative coating is the easiest method that comes to mind... Indium has a very low melting point and is rather easy to evaporate. However, 100 microns is very thick coating. Indium corporation does offer an indium sulfamate plating bath which will probably work as well. I'm curious, what's the application?

The application is for a thermal connector. And I've made a permanent decision to do electroplating based on the desired thickness. Still, how would I go about determining what the correct solution would be? Any easy formula for that or is it from experience?

It might be easier to obtain bulk indium and melt it on to your connector using an indium flux. We do this occasionally as a thermal interface between assemblies. It might be more difficult to get a very precise or consistent thickness, but the same is true for electroplating.

I have never electroplated indium, but if you look for literature related to it you will find the information you need.

1. What is the purpose of depositing indium film on metal bars?

The purpose of depositing indium film on metal bars is to create a conductive layer on the surface of the metal. This allows for easier prototyping and testing of electronic components on the metal bar.

2. How does this method compare to other prototyping methods?

This method is considered a cheap prototyping method because it does not require expensive equipment or materials. It is also a relatively quick and simple process, making it a more efficient option for smaller scale projects.

3. What is the process for depositing indium film on metal bars?

The process involves heating the metal bar, typically made of copper or aluminum, to a high temperature. Then, a thin layer of indium is applied to the surface using a vacuum deposition method. The metal bar is then cooled and the indium film is left on the surface.

4. What are the benefits of using indium film for prototyping?

Indium film is a highly conductive material, making it ideal for testing and prototyping electronic components. It also has a low melting point, allowing for easy application and removal if needed. Additionally, the film is durable and can withstand high temperatures and harsh environments.

5. Are there any limitations to this method?

One limitation of depositing indium film on metal bars is that it may not be suitable for large-scale production. This method is best suited for smaller scale prototyping and testing. Additionally, the equipment and materials needed for this process may not be readily available in all settings.