Physics Taking Too Long? 3-4 Hours on Kinematics

• Thread starter Jacobalg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, spending 3-4 hours studying the first two sections on kinematics and practicing workbook problems is not necessarily "bad." What matters is that you understand the material thoroughly and are spending your time wisely. Deconstructing concepts and doing practice problems from scratch are recommended strategies for effectively studying physics. It may take varying amounts of time for different individuals to understand the material, and there is no set amount of time that it should take.
Jacobalg
I just spent about 3-4 hours on studying the first two sections on kinematics i read the section and practice the work book problems i am wondering is that bad?

Physics news on Phys.org
What matters is that you understand the material thoroughly. It's not a race.

Hi Jacobalg,

It would only be "bad" if you're not spending that time wisely.

From what I've found, the best use of your time in physics is:

(1) Deconstructing concepts (e.g. position, velocity, acceleration) into a simple form that you can personally understand. I recommend doing this by going to lecture, watching youtube videos, or working backwards on example problems, and spending as little time reading the book as you feel comfortable.

(2) Doing practice problems from scratch. This builds your understanding of what concepts to use to solve problems, what equations to use, etc. and prepares you to repeat that same process on exams.

If you're spending your 3-4 hours on those two things, I think it's time well spent. Physics does require you to put in the hours, but not in the way most students think.

Jacobalg said:
I just spent about 3-4 hours on studying the first two sections on kinematics i read the section and practice the work book problems i am wondering is that bad?

Doesn't sound like a trip to the fun fair :) Life's hard!

If it an introductory book, the first few sections on kinematics should take to long (unless you're reading a very tough book) but if the problems are difficult, it really isn't too much time. As tjmller88 said, if you're using your time wisely, it isn't too much. Everyone takes different amounts of time to understand something and there is no "ideal" time that it should take.

1. Why does it take so long to understand kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves complex mathematical calculations and requires a deep understanding of concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Therefore, it may take some time to fully grasp these concepts and their applications.

2. How can I improve my understanding of kinematics in physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of kinematics in physics is to practice solving problems. This will help you apply the concepts you have learned and identify any areas where you may need more practice. You can also seek help from your teacher or peers and use online resources such as videos and interactive simulations to supplement your learning.

3. Is it necessary to spend 3-4 hours on kinematics in physics?

The amount of time needed to understand kinematics in physics may vary from person to person. Some people may grasp the concepts quickly, while others may need more time to fully understand them. It is important to spend enough time on kinematics to ensure a strong foundation for future topics in physics.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when learning kinematics in physics?

One common mistake is not understanding the difference between displacement and distance. Displacement is the straight-line distance between two points, while distance is the actual path taken. Another mistake is mixing up velocity and acceleration, which are two different concepts. It is important to pay attention to the units and directions when solving problems in kinematics.

5. How can I make studying kinematics in physics more efficient?

To make studying kinematics in physics more efficient, it is important to break down the concepts into smaller, manageable parts and practice regularly. You can also try using mnemonic devices or creating visual aids to help you remember the formulas and equations. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and take breaks while studying to avoid burnout.