John Archibald Wheeler passed away, July 4, 1911, April 13, 2008

• Thread starter Hans de Vries
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheeler
In summary, John Archibald Wheeler, a renowned theoretical physicist, passed away on April 13, 2008 at the age of 96. He was known for his work in geometrodynamics and his books "Gravitation" and "Spacetime Physics" have been influential in the field. He will be greatly missed by his students and colleagues.
Physics news on Phys.org
Sad news indeed.

Sad indeed, I was just reading some of his work last week. My eyes got all teary as if he was a member of my family. He will be missed.

a long and bountiful life

Professor Wheeler's "Geometrodynamics" has been an inspiration over the years. The thought that "It's all just curved empty nothingness" continues to ring true.

X

in addition, "Gravitation" and "Spacetime Physics", as well as Wheeler's [many] students
have been also been inspiring and influential.

(I had contributed an entry to the PF blog: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2008/04/14/john-archibald-wheeler-1911-2008/ which I will add to.)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who was John Archibald Wheeler?

John Archibald Wheeler was an American theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics and general relativity. He also coined the term "black hole" and mentored many prominent physicists, including Richard Feynman and Hugh Everett.

2. When did John Archibald Wheeler pass away?

John Archibald Wheeler passed away on April 13, 2008 at the age of 96.

3. What were some of John Archibald Wheeler's notable achievements?

John Archibald Wheeler made significant contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics and general relativity. He also coined the term "black hole" and proposed the concept of "wormholes". He also mentored many prominent physicists, including Richard Feynman and Hugh Everett.

4. How did John Archibald Wheeler impact the field of physics?

John Archibald Wheeler's contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics and general relativity greatly advanced our understanding of the universe. His work on black holes and wormholes also opened up new avenues of research in astrophysics. Additionally, his mentoring of young physicists helped shape the future of the field.

5. What is John Archibald Wheeler's legacy?

John Archibald Wheeler's legacy is his groundbreaking research and contributions to the field of physics. He is also remembered for his role as a mentor to many prominent physicists and for popularizing the term "black hole". His work continues to inspire and influence the scientific community today.