Is there a way? Salt Water to Fresh Water

• Thread starter CstmIndctn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt Water
In summary: Articles/desal-conversion-process.php http://www.thesolarfoundation.org/article/solar-powered-desalination-systems/" http://www.energy.gov/energysaver/tips/using-solar-energy-to-desalinate-water/ Thanks! I found one that looks good. A solar powered desalination system that uses a concentrating solar power system to heat the water and then use a thermal exchange system to remove the salt. It looks like it would be a lot more expensive than the other
CstmIndctn
Any one know of a machine/chemical to convert Salt water (8.8lb-9.4lb) to Fresh water (8.6lb) on a LARGE scale?? I have read several things on converting using the sun to evaporate the water, but that's only like a liter a day. I would love to find something or have something made that would convert on a lot larger scale (Gallons or hundreds of gallons/day). How much would be possibe? Even if a generator would be used continuously to do so. It doesn't need to be drinking water. Just approx the weight of FRESH WATER.
- OR a chemical that would make Salt Sink in a large container so that the Fresh Water could be pulled out. ?

Anyone??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there are reverse osmosis systems, but I think flash distallation is pretty common, and solar based systems would be ideal in equatorial latitudes.

Passing an inert gas like Ar through boiling saltwater might facilitate the vapor transfer rate.

Did you try a google search on desalination?

http://www.coastal.ca.gov/desalrpt/dchap1.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread merged with a duplicate. Don't multi-post.

Thanks! Sorry for the multi-post, wasnt sure on where to put it. I have been searching google before I posted. I found several solar powered systems, but not really for my application. I am dealing with a large tank with approx 2000 gallons of water and have a pump that transfers it to other tanks, I would like to fnd some sort of filter system to put inline to filter as I am pumping, and then maybe do it again. The pump will transfer plenty fast. Thanks for the help!

CstmIndctn said:
Any one know of a machine/chemical to convert Salt water (8.8lb-9.4lb) to Fresh water (8.6lb) on a LARGE scale?? I have read several things on converting using the sun to evaporate the water, but that's only like a liter a day. I would love to find something or have something made that would convert on a lot larger scale (Gallons or hundreds of gallons/day). How much would be possibe? Even if a generator would be used continuously to do so. It doesn't need to be drinking water. Just approx the weight of FRESH WATER.
- OR a chemical that would make Salt Sink in a large container so that the Fresh Water could be pulled out. ?

Anyone??

Thanks!

Is this large enough?

http://www.wgsi.com/desal3a.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can salt water be turned into fresh water?

Yes, it is possible to turn salt water into fresh water through a process called desalination. This process involves removing the salt and other minerals from the salt water, leaving behind fresh water that is safe for consumption.

2. How does desalination work?

Desalination methods vary, but they generally involve either distillation or membrane filtration. Distillation involves heating the salt water until it evaporates, leaving behind the salt and other minerals. The water vapor is then condensed and collected as fresh water. Membrane filtration uses a semi-permeable membrane to filter out the salt and other particles from the water, leaving behind fresh water.

3. What are the benefits of turning salt water into fresh water?

Turning salt water into fresh water can provide a reliable source of clean drinking water in areas where fresh water is scarce. It can also be used for irrigation, industrial processes, and other purposes.

4. Are there any drawbacks to desalination?

While desalination can provide a solution to water scarcity, it is an energy-intensive process and can be costly to implement and maintain. It also produces brine, a concentrated salty solution, which can have negative impacts on marine life if not properly disposed of.

5. Is desalination a sustainable solution for fresh water shortages?

Desalination can be a viable solution for fresh water shortages, but it should not be relied upon as the sole solution. It is important to also focus on water conservation and finding alternative sources of fresh water to ensure long-term sustainability.