Close circuit timer with adjustable frequency

In summary, a stop watch may not be accurate when triggering a circuit with a 555 timer. A kit that is available from Google might be a better option for someone who does not have the ability to control electronics.
jon_k
I've been looking at 555 timers and other stuff but don't have the ability to control this stuff.

I want to trigger a circuit close with a relay, with accurate adjustments to a dial.

I want to be able to accurately control the trigger of the timer between 0.3 seconds to 1 minute.

So something with an LED would be nice, so I wouldn't have to use a stopwatch to check the calibration prior to deployment.

(This is for remotely triggering a camera shutter based on time passed.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 555 is the old standby that you want. If you truly "don't have the ability to control this stuff" -- I presume you know nothing about electronics -- then you may not be able to continue with your project. But I would guess that you can make some more headway...

I googled "555 timer application notes" and came up with:
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/pdf_files/555an.pdf [Broken]
that has a bunch of information about how to use it buried in the technical noise.

You might also find a kit that does what you want, like this one:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C6479

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a stop watch probably isn't too accurate. Watching the pulses on an oscilloscope would give you better much results. Also the 555 is very dependent on the timing components i.e. the tolerances of the resistors and capacitors used to set the time.

That being said, I've used them in many applications and the best way, IMO, to learn it is to play with the application notes in the chips data sheet. "www.cs.put.poznan.pl/wswitala/download/pdf/LM555.pdf"[/URL]

BTW the LM556 is a dual timer (two 555s in one chip)

Last edited by a moderator:
jon_k said:
I've been looking at 555 timers and other stuff but don't have the ability to control this stuff.

I want to trigger a circuit close with a relay, with accurate adjustments to a dial.

I want to be able to accurately control the trigger of the timer between 0.3 seconds to 1 minute.

So something with an LED would be nice, so I wouldn't have to use a stopwatch to check the calibration prior to deployment.

(This is for remotely triggering a camera shutter based on time passed.)

Welcome to the PF.

Another approach would be to see what kind of simple electronics kits are available for timers. I googled electronic kit timer, and got lots of good hits. At least this way you wouldn't have to be able to figure out how to design the timer circuit if you weren't ready for that yet, but you would still be able to see how the circuit was designed (most kits come with an explanation of how the circuit works), and you would be able to put the kit together yourself, to get some experience with simple assembly and soldering.

http://www.google.com/search?source...z=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=electronic+kit+timer

1. What is a close circuit timer with adjustable frequency?

A close circuit timer with adjustable frequency is a device used to control the duration of an electrical circuit by opening and closing it at regular intervals. It allows the user to adjust the frequency of the circuit to their desired timing needs.

2. How does a close circuit timer with adjustable frequency work?

The timer consists of a power source, a control circuit, and an output circuit. The control circuit is responsible for opening and closing the output circuit at a specific frequency, while the power source provides the necessary energy to keep the circuit running.

3. What are the benefits of using a close circuit timer with adjustable frequency?

One of the main benefits is its versatility. It can be used for a wide range of applications, such as controlling lights, motors, and other electrical devices. It also allows for precise timing and can help save energy by only activating the circuit when needed.

4. How do I adjust the frequency on a close circuit timer?

The method of adjusting the frequency may vary depending on the specific timer model. However, most timers have a control knob or button that allows you to increase or decrease the frequency. Some timers may also have a digital display that allows you to input the desired frequency.

5. Can a close circuit timer with adjustable frequency be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, there are timers available that can be used for both AC and DC circuits. It is essential to check the specifications of the timer to ensure it is compatible with the type of circuit you are using.