Have this damnable thought ever slipped through your mind that

• News
  • Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, there is a movement within the GOP to suppress the votes of those who are poor, disabled, elderly, and minorities. This includes challenging ballots, eliminating same-day registration and early voting, and requiring state-issued IDs, which would be a hardship on certain populations.
ThomasT said:
That's one view. Maybe it's correct. The solution, imho, is to vote for candidates other than Republicans and Democrats. Maybe those votes will count for something.

I beg to differ. Since OWS began screaming rape at the top of their lungs there's been a huge turnaround with 60% of the country now believing the government should create policies to redistribute the wealth, 1/3 of OWS now supporting the Tea Party and vice versa, republican presidential candidates calling each other greedy pigs, and now Obama pushing for corporate tax reform. When your vote just doesn't count for much yelling rape at the top of your lungs can and historically has gotten results.

Physics news on Phys.org
eggshell said:
from a philosophical standpoint i find nothing more abhorrent than the suppression of the individual in favor of the whole, there is a reason why the U.S is a republic. it all depends on whether you are a proponent of negative liberty or positive liberty i suppose. i'd prefer an enlightened despot such as pisistratus as opposed to a government with pure democracy.

This has little to do with what my reaction to your previous post. You stated that a direct democracy is actually one of the worst kinds of government. If we also assume that you believe the above (losing individual liberty in favor of the whole), then you are mistaken in that belief. Direct democracy, while it has many flaws and even though I prefer a more indirect form of government, is actually not very restrictive. Compared to most other kinds of government, 50+% approval before passing a law is incredibly high. In other words, in the worst case scenario (the rest of the population under total suppression) at least 50+% have enormous individual liberty.

Also, you might want to rethink your rather extreme stance of finding nothing more abhorrent than the suppression of the individual in favor of the whole. Murder is illegal for exactly this 'favor of the whole'-reason. Individual freedom is extremely important, I very much agree, but there certainly are (and should be!) limits to this freedom.

Hobin said:
This has little to do with what my reaction to your previous post. You stated that a direct democracy is actually one of the worst kinds of government. If we also assume that you believe the above (losing individual liberty in favor of the whole), then you are mistaken in that belief. Direct democracy, while it has many flaws and even though I prefer a more indirect form of government, is actually not very restrictive. Compared to most other kinds of government, 50+% approval before passing a law is incredibly high. In other words, in the worst case scenario (the rest of the population under total suppression) at least 50+% have enormous individual liberty.

Also, you might want to rethink your rather extreme stance of finding nothing more abhorrent than the suppression of the individual in favor of the whole. Murder is illegal for exactly this 'favor of the whole'-reason. Individual freedom is extremely important, I very much agree, but there certainly are (and should be!) limits to this freedom.

the majority of people are retarded, i don't trust them to have such a large role in determining the policies of the nation i live in, which is why i favor an indirect form of representation.

your last part of the post shows that you didn't comprehend mine, i mentioned a republic -- I'm not going to explain to you the implications of this and its effect on the freedom of individuals.

wuliheron said:
I beg to differ.
With what?

ThomasT said:
With what?

I beg to differ that the solution is to vote for a third party. If people want a third party they would already be voting for a third party and in the US at least we have a two party system that discourages third parties.

Most people I know have some pretty weird ideas about what a democracy is. A lynch mob, for example, is not a democracy. Majority rule is not a democracy. The ancient Athenian motto they would shout before speaking to the voters was, "Strike if you must, but hear me first!" Lynch mobs don't bother to listen if they don't want to.

No, what makes a democracy are specific rights given people and minorities to ensure the peace. The right to vote is just one of those and the right to protest is another. When your vote becomes more or less meaningless for whatever reason its time to start protesting. When the majority or a minority starts dumping on you big time and you can't stop them, its time to start protesting. Otherwise they might actually start to think you like it.

Just a thought.

wuliheron said:
I beg to differ that the solution is to vote for a third party. If people want a third party they would already be voting for a third party and in the US at least we have a two party system that discourages third parties.

Most people I know have some pretty weird ideas about what a democracy is. A lynch mob, for example, is not a democracy. Majority rule is not a democracy. The ancient Athenian motto they would shout before speaking to the voters was, "Strike if you must, but hear me first!" Lynch mobs don't bother to listen if they don't want to.

No, what makes a democracy are specific rights given people and minorities to ensure the peace. The right to vote is just one of those and the right to protest is another. When your vote becomes more or less meaningless for whatever reason its time to start protesting. When the majority or a minority starts dumping on you big time and you can't stop them, its time to start protesting. Otherwise they might actually start to think you like it.

Just a thought.

You are referring to a "liberal democracy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_democracy#Types_of_democracy

Galteeth said:

No, I'm referring to democracy in general:

"Democracy is an egalitarian form of government in which all the citizens of a nation together determine public policy, the laws and the actions of their state, requiring that all citizens (meeting certain qualifications) have an equal opportunity to express their opinion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

If don't have the right to express your opinion voting is irrelevant.

wuliheron said:
No, I'm referring to democracy in general:

"Democracy is an egalitarian form of government in which all the citizens of a nation together determine public policy, the laws and the actions of their state, requiring that all citizens (meeting certain qualifications) have an equal opportunity to express their opinion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

If don't have the right to express your opinion voting is irrelevant.

Well, that's not literally true.

Galteeth said:
Well, that's not literally true.

So now you want to debate with the encyclopedia? Go for it dude. They have their own bulletin board and I'm sure they'll get a laugh out of the idea that you can have a democracy where people are not allowed to express themselves.

wuliheron said:
I beg to differ that the solution is to vote for a third party.
I think that if the ~80M people who don't bother to vote (assuming that a majority of them don't vote because they think their vote won't matter) voted for candidates other than Republicans and Democrats, then maybe some positive changes regarding the way government and politics and the financial sector and corporate America works might happen.

If they continue to not vote and just do a protest or a blog once in a while, then I don't think that's likely to bring about any changes in the status quo.

Not voting would seem to be an expression of not wanting or caring about any significant changes in the status quo.

Anyway, wrt the OP, I think we can say for sure that votes that aren't made definitely don't count.

eggshell said:
the majority of people are retarded
This is obviously not true, and explains quite a lot.

ThomasT said:
I think that if the ~80M people who don't bother to vote (assuming that a majority of them don't vote because they think their vote won't matter) voted for candidates other than Republicans and Democrats, then maybe some positive changes regarding the way government and politics and the financial sector and corporate America works might happen.

If they continue to not vote and just do a protest or a blog once in a while, then I don't think that's likely to bring about any changes in the status quo.

Not voting would seem to be an expression of not wanting or caring about any significant changes in the status quo.

Anyway, wrt the OP, I think we can say for sure that votes that aren't made definitely don't count.

LOL, just because they don't vote doesn't mean they care about the results much less that they are unhappy with them or would vote for a third party. All it means is they don't vote for whatever reason. Some are even amoral anarchists who abstain from voting because they don't believe in voting! And, of course, the group that votes the least are the youngest, while those who vote the most are the oldest and that's the way it has always been. Even in countries where voting is compulsory turnout is only about 7-16% higher for national elections suggesting your third party fantasy is about as likely as a snowball in hell even if everyone did turnout.

Hobin said:
This is obviously not true, and explains quite a lot.

Half the world has below average intelligence, though. :tongue2:

Char. Limit said:

*chuckles* There you do have a point. :biggrin:

Char. Limit said:

I started thinking about that when I noticed what The History Channel and the Discovery Channel had morphed into.:eek:

Votes do count though, the Iowa election between Rick Santorum and Romney showed that, where it was veeerry close. At first Romney finished eight votes ahead, then Santorum finished 34 votes ahead it turned out later on.

edward said:
I started thinking about that when I noticed what The History Channel and the Discovery Channel had morphed into.:eek:

And The Learning Channel (now "TLC") :frown:

CAC1001 said:
Votes do count though, the Iowa election between Rick Santorum and Romney showed that, where it was veeerry close. At first Romney finished eight votes ahead, then Santorum finished 34 votes ahead it turned out later on.

They had a low turnout with only 5.4% of republicans voting in the election. All of which suggests even republicans couldn't decide which candidate was the lesser of many evils and did not care who won.

Oh, and cable channels have gone down hill in part due to the cable companies pressuring them to lower their prices.

wuliheron said:
Oh, and cable channels have gone down hill in part due to the cable companies pressuring them to lower their prices.

I think also the popularity of reality television.

CAC1001 said:
I think also the popularity of reality television.

These days Netflix is putting the screws to cable, however, last year video games made more money then all the Hollywood movies combined and are undeniably the fastest growing sector of the entertainment industry today. Popular series like Call of Duty cost 40-50 million dollars to produce and make over a billion dollars. The next generation consoles will be capable of cinematic quality graphics similar to movies like Avatar and some photo-realistic effects, and plans are already in the works to produce the first video game that uses the exact same graphics as a full length feature film to be released at the same time. The most expensive video game to date, the latest Star Wars, cost an estimated 150-200 million dollars to produce and not twenty years ago the original Doom cost 200k. However, part of the attraction of the video game industry over live movies is that just about every expense can come down dramatically as the technology becomes more automated.

Last edited:
CAC1001 said:

Oh yea love that channel. Learned a lot from it, like parenting, J&K+8, one thing I learned, DO NOT F--KING GIVE BIRTH TO ONE KID, LET ALONE 8.

Con meh gi cher pop corn!

Alex_Sanders said:
your vote... might not count?

Most of the votes I have ever cast didn't matter. If you live in Utah, New York, Alabama, California or a host of other states, your vote for president will never count. The closest my vote ever came to counting was when I lived in Florida in 2000 (I voted for Bush). Our next president will be selected by a small number of people in a handfull of states (and maybe the supreme court).

Skippy

wuliheron said:
Congress has an all time low approval rating with the overwhelming number of Americans disapproving of the job they're doing, yet only 10% of house seats have changed parties in the last ten years...
10% over five elections? It's quite a bit higher. In 2010 alone the swing was 63 seats (14%), and that's net, with 69 seats actually changing parties.

skippy1729 said:
Most of the votes I have ever cast didn't matter. If you live in Utah, New York, Alabama, California or a host of other states, your vote for president will never count. The closest my vote ever came to counting was when I lived in Florida in 2000 (I voted for Bush). Our next president will be selected by a small number of people in a handfull of states (and maybe the supreme court).

Skippy

Well, that's not exactly true. It's true individually, but by that reasoning, the only time a vote counts is if it's the single deciding vote, which never happens. Voting is a collective of individual decisions.

mheslep said:
10% over five elections? It's quite a bit higher. In 2010 alone the swing was 63 seats (14%), and that's net, with 69 seats actually changing parties.

You're correct, I was referring to the ten years prior to 2010. Here is a chart showing the history of congress' turnover rate from the Cato Institute:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/journal/images/v14n3-fig1.gif

No matter what the rate of replacement is, it's, imho, too low. And I attribute this in large part to the absence of term limits. There are people who have been in Congress for 20 + years, and I think that this contributes to the perception (and, in a sense, the reality) that our individual votes don't matter much.

But, how are we going to get a congress that votes for term limits if we keep voting for, and electing, pretty much only Democrats and Republicans? Well, imho, we aren't. Thus, the suggestion that people stop voting for Democrats and Republicans -- if they want any sort of significant change in the status quo that is.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with third party movements. Although, imho, a third party would be a good thing. It just has to do with NOT voting for status quo, ie., major party, candidates.

<h2>1. Have you ever had a thought that you wished you could take back?</h2><p>As a scientist, I have definitely had thoughts that I wish I could take back. It is a natural part of being human to have fleeting or impulsive thoughts that we may regret later on.</p><h2>2. How do you deal with negative or intrusive thoughts?</h2><p>I deal with negative or intrusive thoughts by acknowledging them, but not giving them power. I remind myself that thoughts are not always reflective of reality and that I have control over my actions and behaviors.</p><h2>3. Can thoughts affect our physical health?</h2><p>There is evidence that suggests a strong mind-body connection, and that negative or stressful thoughts can have a negative impact on our physical health. It is important to practice mindfulness and manage stress in order to maintain overall well-being.</p><h2>4. Is it normal to have disturbing thoughts?</h2><p>Yes, it is normal to have disturbing thoughts. Everyone experiences them to some degree, but it is important to recognize when these thoughts become excessive or interfere with daily functioning.</p><h2>5. Can we control our thoughts?</h2><p>While we may not have complete control over our thoughts, we can learn to manage them and choose how we respond to them. Techniques such as cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness can help us gain control over our thoughts and reactions to them.</p>

1. Have you ever had a thought that you wished you could take back?

As a scientist, I have definitely had thoughts that I wish I could take back. It is a natural part of being human to have fleeting or impulsive thoughts that we may regret later on.

2. How do you deal with negative or intrusive thoughts?

I deal with negative or intrusive thoughts by acknowledging them, but not giving them power. I remind myself that thoughts are not always reflective of reality and that I have control over my actions and behaviors.

3. Can thoughts affect our physical health?

There is evidence that suggests a strong mind-body connection, and that negative or stressful thoughts can have a negative impact on our physical health. It is important to practice mindfulness and manage stress in order to maintain overall well-being.

4. Is it normal to have disturbing thoughts?

Yes, it is normal to have disturbing thoughts. Everyone experiences them to some degree, but it is important to recognize when these thoughts become excessive or interfere with daily functioning.

5. Can we control our thoughts?

While we may not have complete control over our thoughts, we can learn to manage them and choose how we respond to them. Techniques such as cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness can help us gain control over our thoughts and reactions to them.