What are some amazing discoveries made in the field of optics?

In summary, the conversation was about finding interesting and lesser-known information about optics. The person suggested looking at basic examples, experiments, and studying the true nature of light. They also mentioned checking Wikipedia for a broad overview and provided links to more advanced topics like optical tweezers and Nobel Prize-winning discoveries in optics.
Physics7
Hi,
could you please introduce me anythings that's related to optics items function in life?
books,magazins,movies anything...
even good pictures for understanding...(I mean for example you tell me type this ''''' in google and find those pictures for example)
if no books or ect, but you have information yourself and you'r sure about your knowledge tell me those things that you know...
I want wonderful things about it,intersting functions o even a meaningful exmple for better understanding.
thank you :smile:

Science news on Phys.org
Well.. There are so many. I'm not sure I'm getting what you want here but you can look for some basic examples/applications of optics like kaleidoscope, telescope, microscope.. Etc...

There are also some interesting experiments like the double-slit experiment.

Studying about the true nature of light is also interesting.

Could you be a little more specific with that kind of information you want? If you want a broad overview on Optics, just go to wikipedia, type in Optics, and browse to your hearts content.

I bet this is for some school project. :)

jhosamelly said:
Well.. There are so many. I'm not sure I'm getting what you want here but you can look for some basic examples/applications of optics like kaleidoscope, telescope, microscope.. Etc...

thank you,i think it would be good but not enough if you could tell me s.th more than these because they are ordinary things that everbody knows about that.

There are also some interesting experiments like the double-slit experiment.

it would be great

Studying about the true nature of light is also interesting.

yes of course...

very good and usefull thanks a lot
Drakkith said:
Could you be a little more specific with that kind of information you want? If you want a broad overview on Optics, just go to wikipedia, type in Optics, and browse to your hearts content.
I want 2 things
first functions but not the ordinary...
and if not some high and rare things about the optics lessons...
s.th that most of the people doesn't know about it
greswd said:
I bet this is for some school project. :)
no my dear friend I'm in the third course of university !
and searching for a good subject to search for

Physics7 said:
I want 2 things
first functions but not the ordinary...
and if not some high and rare things about the optics lessons...
s.th that most of the people doesn't know about it

Umm...what?

Drakkith said:
Umm...what?
I'm asking you...
I don't want the high school subjects and lessons or even simple lessons of university,I want a subject which is somehow complex and isnot known by everybody.
to tell you simply I want a subject which is interesting by everybody because they haven't seen it before and doesn't have information about it.
I wish that I could tell you what I mean.
I'm really sorry because my english is not very good!

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/345652/title/2012_physics_Nobel_recognizes_experiments_probing_quantum_world

Long list of many different optics discoveries:
http://www.ivanhoe.com/science/by_subject/optics.html [Broken]

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbywhy said:
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/345652/title/2012_physics_Nobel_recognizes_experiments_probing_quantum_world

Long list of many different optics discoveries:
http://www.ivanhoe.com/science/by_subject/optics.html [Broken]

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

very nice thanks alot

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does optics play a role in everyday life?

Optics functions are present in many aspects of our daily routines. For instance, our eyes use optics to see and process visual information, cameras use optics to capture images, and mirrors use optics to reflect light and create reflections. Optics also plays a crucial role in technologies like laser printers, fiber optic cables, and solar panels.

2. What is the importance of optics in medicine?

Optics is essential in the field of medicine as it is used in instruments like microscopes, endoscopes, and lasers for surgeries. It also allows doctors to visualize and diagnose medical conditions through techniques like optical coherence tomography (OCT) and confocal microscopy. Optics also plays a role in developing medical imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI, and CT scans.

3. How does optics contribute to communication?

Optics is a crucial component in communication technology. Fiber optic cables use total internal reflection to transmit data at high speeds over long distances. Optical fibers are also used in telecommunication networks, allowing us to make phone calls, send text messages, and access the internet. Optics also plays a role in satellite communication, where signals are transmitted using lasers.

4. What is the connection between optics and renewable energy?

Optics plays a significant role in renewable energy sources like solar power. Solar panels use photovoltaic cells that convert sunlight into electricity, and these cells are made using optics to trap and direct light. Optics is also used in concentrated solar power systems, where mirrors are used to reflect and concentrate sunlight onto a receiver, producing heat that can be used for electricity generation.

5. How does optics contribute to the entertainment industry?

Optics is widely used in the entertainment industry. It is used in the production of films, TV shows, and video games to create special effects, animations, and virtual environments. Optics is also used in the design of cameras and lenses for photography and videography. In addition, optics is used in 3D technologies, holograms, and virtual reality experiences.