Static magnetic field and scalp

In summary: Hello!I was just wondering, do static magnetic fields penetrate effectively into human tissue such as the scalp? What factors would affect the field? Blood flow? Ion gradients?Thanks!In summary, static magnetic fields can effectively penetrate human tissue such as the scalp and are used in technologies like Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Factors that may affect the field include blood flow and ion gradients, but these effects are minimal and not considered a concern at typical field strengths used in MRI.
okiedokie
Hello!

I was just wondering, do static magnetic fields penetrate effectively into human tissue such as the scalp? What factors would affect the field? Blood flow? Ion gradients?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
okiedokie said:
Hello!

I was just wondering, do static magnetic fields penetrate effectively into human tissue such as the scalp? What factors would affect the field? Blood flow? Ion gradients?

Thanks!
I have some strong neodymium magnets. If I hold them in my palm (palm facing up) I can get a screw or nail to hang from the back of my hand.

okiedokie said:
Hello!

Thanks!

Yes they do, and I don't believe anything in the human body can significantly affect this.

Static magnetic fields completely penetrate organic tissue.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) uses this fact. When you are in an MRI machine your head, knee, or whatever body part is imaged may be in fields as high as 3T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging

At the bottom of the Wiki entry, there is a safety section. It mentions no direct effects of static fields on the human body - only indirect ones, e.g. on implants such as pacemakers.

It is more difficult to find information on the direct effect of static fields on the human body. There appears to be "a small, reversible effect on electrocardiogam data. The cause is the interaction of moving blood (a conductive medium) and the field in the heart. The effect was minimal below about 2 T (but was seen as low as 0.1 T) and is not considered a concern."

http://www.ehs.cornell.edu/File/Magnetic_Field_Safety_Cryo_Guide_v3.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

I can tell you that static magnetic fields do have the ability to penetrate human tissue, including the scalp. However, the effectiveness of penetration depends on various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the distance from the source, and the composition of the tissue.

Blood flow and ion gradients can also affect the field by altering the conductivity and permeability of the tissue. Additionally, the orientation of the magnetic field relative to the tissue can also impact its penetration.

Overall, the effectiveness of a static magnetic field in penetrating human tissue is complex and can vary depending on multiple factors. Further research is needed to fully understand the mechanisms involved and the potential effects on the scalp and other tissues.

1. What is a static magnetic field?

A static magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that does not change or move over time. It is produced by a permanent magnet or a direct current through a wire, and its strength and direction remain constant.

2. How does a static magnetic field affect the scalp?

A static magnetic field can penetrate the scalp and interact with the electrical activity of the brain. This can potentially affect brain function and has been studied for its potential therapeutic effects on various neurological conditions.

3. Are there any risks associated with exposure to a static magnetic field?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that exposure to a static magnetic field at levels used in medical or research settings poses any significant health risks. However, caution should be taken when using strong magnets and individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers, should avoid exposure.

4. Can a static magnetic field be used for scalp stimulation?

Yes, a static magnetic field has been explored as a potential method for non-invasive brain stimulation. However, more research is needed to fully understand its effects and potential benefits in this area.

5. Is there a difference between a static magnetic field and a pulsed magnetic field?

Yes, a static magnetic field is constant and does not change over time, while a pulsed magnetic field is intermittent and varies in strength and direction. Both types of magnetic fields have different effects on the body and are used for different purposes in research and medical settings.