Intensity of sound behind a sphere

In summary, if you have a sphere with radius r, a distance d away from a sound source of intensity I0, the intensity I of the sound wave will be inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.
5skin
If I have a sphere with radius r, a distance d away from a sound source of intensity I0. What will the intensity I of the sound wave be on the point of the sphere directly opposite the source? Preferably I would like to find the intensity of the wave at any point on the sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any point would be difficult, because the sound source is "directly visible" from half the sphere at most. Other points can be reached only indirectly, and the overall analysis becomes very complex.

For the sound that is directly incident, the intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

I'm only concerned with the indirect half of the sphere. I want to know how to figure out the intensity of sound after it has diffracted around an object. I'm also assuming that there are no reflected sound waves. Is there any formula to calculate the intensity of a diffracted sound wave around a sphere?

Rayleigh's Theory of Sound had a section on sound propagation in the presence of a spherical obstacle. But that was anything but simple. I do not know whether there is a more recent and simpler exposure. I would guess there could also be studies on the diffraction of light by spherical bodies, I think their results could be adapted.

voko said:
I do not know whether there is a more recent and simpler exposure.

You might get some information by looking up the math of "head related transfer functions" - i.e the methods used in video games etc to convert sound coming from an arbitrary point in space, into the two inputs at your ears.

Or, see if there is any theory relating to "dummy head" binaural sound recording techniques.

More recent than Rayleigh - yes. Simpler - not necessarily!

1. What is the effect of a sphere on the intensity of sound behind it?

The presence of a sphere can significantly affect the intensity of sound behind it. This is because the sphere acts as an obstacle, causing diffraction and reflection of sound waves. As a result, the intensity of sound behind the sphere may be reduced or amplified depending on the size and shape of the sphere.

2. How does the size of the sphere impact the intensity of sound behind it?

The size of the sphere can greatly impact the intensity of sound behind it. Generally, larger spheres will cause more diffraction and reflection, resulting in a greater reduction in sound intensity. Smaller spheres may still cause some changes in sound intensity, but the effect will be less significant.

3. Is the material of the sphere important in determining the intensity of sound behind it?

Yes, the material of the sphere can play a role in determining the intensity of sound behind it. Different materials have different acoustic properties, which can affect how sound waves interact with the surface of the sphere. For example, a smooth, hard surface may reflect more sound waves than a soft, porous surface.

4. Can the shape of the sphere affect the intensity of sound behind it?

Absolutely. The shape of the sphere can greatly impact the intensity of sound behind it. A spherical shape may cause more diffraction and reflection of sound waves compared to a cylindrical or cubical shape. This is because the curved surface of a sphere creates more opportunities for sound waves to change direction.

5. How does the distance from the sphere affect the intensity of sound behind it?

The distance from the sphere can have a significant impact on the intensity of sound behind it. As the distance increases, the intensity of sound will generally decrease due to the spreading out of sound waves. However, the shape and size of the sphere can also play a role in this, so the exact effect may vary.