Exploring the Derivation of the Catenary Equation

In summary, the equation of a catenary is derived through the use of hyperbolic functions and can be found in detail in resources such as the provided links or a book on statics.
amcavoy
I am curious as to how the equation of a catenary was derived:

x = t
y = a*cosh(t)

Does anyone have any insight on this or know a good webpage that can explain it?

Thank you for the assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the most in depth I could find:

http://www.kmlhs.org/faculty/TKUEHL/Precalculus/MESA/Arch/Arch%20History.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Its long and complicated. I would get a nice statics book to show you the solution.

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ChainCurve.html

(Link really does not show you how anything is derived though)

http://www.whim.org/nebula/math/catenary.html

(again not great)

Go get yourself Statics by RC Hibbeler, and Ill help you if u are stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links. I actually found something almost identical to the material on the Planetmath site (it also had a picture, though). For now, I think something like that is sufficient (although I'm sure I'll come across it in a future class). Thanks again...

1. What is the Catenary Equation?

The Catenary Equation is a mathematical function that describes the shape of a hanging chain or cable under the influence of gravity. It is often compared to a parabola, but it is actually a different type of curve.

2. Who first derived the Catenary Equation?

The Catenary Equation was first derived by mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in 1691. However, it was later refined and popularized by mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1744.

3. How is the Catenary Equation derived?

The Catenary Equation is derived using a combination of calculus and physics principles. It involves balancing the forces acting on each segment of the chain to determine the shape of the curve.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Catenary Equation?

The Catenary Equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of suspension bridges, power lines, and arches. It is also used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics.

5. Can the Catenary Equation be generalized to other shapes?

Yes, the Catenary Equation can be generalized to other curves, such as the parabola and hyperbola. These curves are known as "catenary-like" curves and have similar properties to the Catenary Equation.