Point charge between two conducting plates

The theorem states that the voltage at one point is equal to the voltage at another point when the charge at the first point is moved to the second point and vice versa. In this case, if we move charge q from between the plates to outside the plates, the resulting potential difference between the plates will be 0. This means that the charges induced on the plates must also be 0, as they are simply mirroring the potential of the charge q. Therefore, your assumption of a potential difference of 0 between the plates is justified in this case.
-marko-
Two infinite conducting plates 1 and 2 are separated by a distance l. A point charge q is located between the plates at a distance x from plate 1. Find the charges induced on each plate.

I solved this problem assuming (intuitively) that a potential difference between plate 1 and 2 equals 0 and got correct result but I don't understand why is that correct assumption when two plates are not connected with conductor? I also imagined that charge q is uniformly spread over the plane passing through that charge and parallel to the plates because induced charge remains unchanged if we imagine this.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved this problem assuming (intuitively) that a potential difference between plate 1 and 2 equals 0 and got correct result but I don't understand why is that correct assumption when two plates are not connected with conductor?
If both plates are electrically neutral, i.e. there is no net excess or deficiency of electrons, they must be by definition at the same electrical potential. Attaching a conductor would ensure the same electric potential regardless of the free charges.

I also imagined that charge q is uniformly spread over the plane passing through that charge
But that is a point charge, not a distribution of charge.

The charge q has an electric field associated with it. It is this electric field which induces a redistribution of charge on the conductor.

-marko- said:
Two infinite conducting plates 1 and 2 are separated by a distance l. A point charge q is located between the plates at a distance x from plate 1. Find the charges induced on each plate.

I solved this problem assuming (intuitively) that a potential difference between plate 1 and 2 equals 0 and got correct result but I don't understand why is that correct assumption when two plates are not connected with conductor? I also imagined that charge q is uniformly spread over the plane passing through that charge and parallel to the plates because induced charge remains unchanged if we imagine this.

Thanks
If the plates are isolated, they can't have any charge induced on them.
Where would it come from? That problem is usually given for grounded planes.

Your assumption may give the right answer, but it is difficult to justify.
The problem is usually given as an example of the use of Green's reciprocity theorem.

What is a point charge between two conducting plates?

A point charge between two conducting plates is a scenario in which a single charged particle is placed between two parallel, conductive surfaces. This setup creates a uniform electric field between the plates, with the particle experiencing a force due to the interaction between its charge and the field.

Why is a point charge between two conducting plates studied?

This scenario is often studied in physics and engineering because it represents a simplified version of many real-world systems, such as capacitors and parallel plate electrostatic filters. It also allows for the application of important principles and equations, such as Gauss's law and Coulomb's law.

How do the properties of the conducting plates affect the point charge?

The properties of the conducting plates, such as their size, shape, and material, can affect the electric field between them and therefore influence the force experienced by the point charge. For example, larger plates may create a stronger electric field, while plates made of different materials may have different conductivities and affect the strength of the field.

What is the electric field between the conducting plates?

The electric field between the conducting plates is uniform and directed from the positive plate to the negative plate. Its strength is determined by the charge on the plates and the distance between them, according to the equation E = Q/εA, where E is the electric field strength, Q is the charge on the plates, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, and A is the area of the plates.

What happens to the point charge when the distance between the plates is changed?

When the distance between the plates is changed, the electric field between them also changes. This can cause the force experienced by the point charge to increase or decrease, depending on the direction of the field. If the distance between the plates is decreased, the field becomes stronger and the force on the particle increases. If the distance is increased, the field weakens and the force decreases.