Finding the Third Force to Achieve Zero Total Torque on an Equilateral Triangle

In summary, the problem involves finding a third force to be applied at B and along BC that will make the total torque zero about the point O, which is the intersection of the altitudes of an equilateral triangle where forces F_1 and F_2 act along two sides. To solve this, the forces can be put into component form and the tangential components can be used to determine the perpendicular force needed.
merced
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4792/physics1gj9.th.png

"Two forces [tex]F_1[/tex] and [tex]F_2[/tex] act along the two sides of an equilateral triangle as shown...Point O is the intersection of the altitudes of the triangle. Find a third force [tex]F_3[/tex] to be applied at B and along BC that will make the total torque zero about the point O."

So the sum of the torques = 0. I don't know what to do first. Should I put the forces into component form and take the tangential component of the forces??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I can't see the image, but putting the forces into components would be a good start.

Click on the image.

merced said:
Click on the image.

I don't have anything to click on, it's my computer, probably. Someone else will be able to give an exact reply to you. In the meantime, prepare some work to present.

I guess what I mean is, how do I determine what is perpendicular to the intersection (O)? Because I have to use the perpendicular force right?

What is total torque on a triangle?

Total torque on a triangle is the sum of all the torques acting on the triangle. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

How is total torque calculated for a triangle?

The total torque on a triangle can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on the triangle by the distance between the force and the center of rotation. This distance is also known as the lever arm.

What factors affect the total torque on a triangle?

The total torque on a triangle is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the location of the force relative to the center of rotation. The shape and size of the triangle can also impact the total torque.

What is the unit of measurement for total torque?

The unit of measurement for total torque is newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system, or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

Why is understanding total torque on a triangle important?

Understanding total torque on a triangle is important in engineering and physics applications, as it allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects in rotational motion. It is also essential in designing and building structures and machines that require stability and balance.