Calculating Time in Air for a Thrown Ball

In summary: Ok so I'm guessing I have to imply gravity will have an effect on the ball, I'm just not sure how it comes in the equation with the speed. and since there are no forces working on the x-axis there should be no mention of range.
ecthelion4

Homework Statement

A student standing on the ground throws a ball straight up. The ball leaves the studen'ts hand with a speed of 15 m/s when the hand is 2.0m above the ground. How long is the ball in the air before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I'm guessing I have to imply gravity will have an effect on the ball, I'm just not sure how it comes in the equation with the speed. and since there are no forces working on the x-axis there should be no mention of range. I also checked on the hyper phisics site under free fall but the only relevant topic gives me this equation: Vy=Voy-gt, but that doesn't quite work for me since I can't clear it for t which is the variable I'm looking for. I need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need an equation which will describe the position of the ball (i.e. the 'y coordinate') with respect to time.

You need to use the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration, which can be found http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html You know vi, a and d and want to find t, so pick a suitable equation.

edit: Damn, radou typed faster than me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'd use this one:

d=Vi*t+1/2gt^2

It's the one that would work in my case since i got speed and g, but what do you say is d? is it the 2m the ball is apart from the x axis?

ecthelion4 said:
I guess I'd use this one:

d=Vi*t+1/2gt^2

It's the one that would work in my case since i got speed and g, but what do you say is d? is it the 2m the ball is apart from the x axis?

You missed a sign in your equation. Think about which one it could be. Further on, you forgot to add another term in your equation. (Hint: initial ________.)

Oh I think I get it now

The equation is d=vi*t+1/2*a*t² , so if I substitute the values I know I get this:

2m=15m/s*t+1/2*9.8m/s²*t²

so now i just clear in terms of t right?

ecthelion4 said:
Oh I think I get it now

The equation is d=vi*t+1/2*a*t² , so if I substitute the values I know I get this:

2m=15m/s*t+1/2*9.8m/s²*t²

so now i just clear in terms of t right?

Another hint: in what direction is the initial velocity pointing, and in what direction does gravity act? What does that tell you about the signs of these quantities? Further on, add the initial height to your equation.

1. How do you calculate the time in air for a thrown ball?

The time in air for a thrown ball can be calculated using the equation t = (2 * v * sinθ) / g, where t is the time, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can the time in air for a thrown ball be calculated without knowing the initial velocity?

No, the initial velocity is a crucial factor in calculating the time in air for a thrown ball. It is important to accurately measure or estimate the initial velocity for an accurate calculation.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the time in air for a thrown ball?

The angle of launch, represented by θ in the equation, has a direct impact on the time in air for a thrown ball. A higher launch angle will result in a longer time in air, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter time in air.

4. Is the time in air for a thrown ball affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time in air for a thrown ball. In most cases, it will result in a slightly shorter time in air compared to the calculated time without taking air resistance into account.

5. Can the time in air for a thrown ball be used to determine its distance?

Yes, the time in air can be used to calculate the horizontal distance traveled by a thrown ball using the equation d = v * cosθ * t, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and t is the time in air.