Making a Wooden Airplane: Will Airfoils Help?

• Thread starter eaboujaoudeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, during university, a project was assigned to create a wooden airplane with an electrical motor. It was a challenging but enjoyable experience due to limited time and resources. The question was raised about using airfoils instead of flat wings for improved performance at low speeds. Based on the assumption of a small balsa construction, it is believed that the angle of attack and total wing area would have a greater impact on performance. The experts are recommended to weigh in on the matter. In the conversation, it was also suggested to have plenty of dihedral on the wings for stability and to consider the use of camber for flat balsa sheets. The project was further complicated by a large electrical engine with vibrations, but the prop was perfected to
eaboujaoudeh
During unviversity we had a project to make a piece a wooden airplane driven by an electrical motor, it was a difficult but lovely experience, in such a limited time and resources that we were bounded with. My question is that would u think that using airfoils instead of flat wings would create a huge difference at low speeds?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't mention what scale this was on, or what sort of motor was involved, so I'm going to assume that it was a balsa construction of less than 20" in length with maybe a 24" wingspan. If that's the case, I don't believe that an airfoil shape would make much difference. Your angle of attack and total wing area would probably be the deciding factors for performance. Best let Fred, Russ, Rainman Aero, Andre and the other experts weigh in before taking my word for it.

My own experience dictates that there should be plenty of dihedral on the wings to enhance stability.

If you are just using flat balsa sheets, camber actually does make quite a bit of difference.

yes balsa wood and definitely smaller than 24'' by a large bit, but i think i should enlarge wings. and the downside of the whole project was that the teacher challenged us with a large electrical engine with a lot of vibrations, i perfected the prop till the vibrations became very small in size, but still have an effect. so i guess i'll make the camber...thnx guys

1. How do airfoils help in making a wooden airplane?

Airfoils, also known as wings, are an essential component of an airplane. They are designed to create lift, which is necessary for the airplane to stay airborne. The curved shape of airfoils creates a difference in air pressure, with low pressure on the top and high pressure on the bottom. This pressure difference generates lift, allowing the airplane to fly.

2. Are airfoils necessary for a wooden airplane?

Yes, airfoils are necessary for any type of airplane, including wooden ones. Without airfoils, the airplane would not be able to generate enough lift to take off and stay in the air. It is crucial to design and construct the airfoils properly to ensure the airplane's stability and aerodynamic performance.

3. How can I determine the best airfoil shape for my wooden airplane?

Choosing the right airfoil shape for a wooden airplane depends on various factors, such as the airplane's size, weight, and purpose. It is best to consult with aeronautical engineers or use software programs to simulate and analyze different airfoil shapes' performance. Additionally, conducting wind tunnel testing can also help determine the most suitable airfoil for your wooden airplane.

4. Can I make my own airfoils for a wooden airplane?

While it is possible to make your own airfoils for a wooden airplane, it is not recommended unless you have the necessary knowledge and experience in aerodynamics and aircraft design. Designing and constructing airfoils require precise calculations and measurements to ensure the airplane's stability and performance. It is best to seek professional help or use pre-made airfoils that are specifically designed for wooden airplanes.

5. What are the advantages of using airfoils in a wooden airplane?

Airfoils provide several advantages for a wooden airplane, including increased lift, reduced drag, and improved stability and control. They also help to improve the airplane's fuel efficiency, allowing it to fly longer distances. Additionally, properly designed airfoils can enhance the overall aesthetics of the wooden airplane, making it more visually appealing.