Solve Kinematics Homework: Wind Gust Displacement of Sailboard

• Thread starter devilsangels287
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: You step off a cliff 30 meters high.A. How long will it take to hit the water below? 0=30-4.9t^2 4.9t^2=30*9.8t=269.2t^2= 269.2t= 2.47B. What is your velocity (mph) when you hit the water? Vty= Voy-9.8tVty-Voy-9.8(2.47)Vty=-24.25 m/s=54.223 mphC. What is your velocity (mph) after hitting the water? Vty= Voy
devilsangels287

Homework Statement

A sailboard is sailing at 6.5 when a gust of wind hits, causing it to accelerate at 0.48 at a 35 angle to its original direction of motion.

If the acceleration lasts 6.3 , what is the board's net displacement during the wind gust?

Homework Equations

Ok so far, I have drawn all of the motion graphs.
So I got

X Y

X_0= 0m Y_0= 0m
X_F=? Y_F=?
V_0x= 6.5m/s v_oy=0m/s
V_fy= 6.5m/s v_fy=?
a= 0 m/s^2 a= .48m/s^2
t= 6.3secs t=6.3secs

The Attempt at a Solution

And assuming those are correct. I got v_fy= 4.55 m/s by using 6.5tan35 = v_fy

then I used this equation: x=x_0+v_ot+(1/2)at^2 and got

X_f= 40.95m
Y_f= 9.5m
And then I added them together and then its 50.45m? Is this correct, because online it said it was wrong?

Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
suppose it's initially moving eastbound at 6.5m/s. ie: northbound velocity = 0.

so acceleration 0.48m/s^2 east 30 degrees north.

What is the component of acceleration in the east/west direction?

What is the component of acceleration in the north/south direction?

So you can divide the problem into the east/west part (to get the displacement east/west), and the north/south part (to get the displacement north/south)... and work them separetly... each part is a uniform acceleration problem.

Need help with kinematics

I figured out this problem:

You step off a cliff 30 meters high.
A. How long will it take to hit the water below?
0=30-4.9t^2
4.9t^2=30
t^2= 6.122
t= 2.47

B. What is your velocity (mph) when you hit the water?
Vty= Voy-9.8t
Vty-Voy-9.8(2.47)
Vty=-24.25 m/s = 54.223 mph

Can anyone help me solve this one, based on the above problem?:

2. How high would the cliff have to be in 1. above if your velocity hitting the water was 100 mph?

Thanks!

1. How do I calculate the wind gust displacement of a sailboard?

In order to calculate the wind gust displacement of a sailboard, you will need to know the velocity and direction of the wind gust, as well as the mass and dimensions of the sailboard. Then, you can use the equations of kinematics, such as displacement = velocity * time + (1/2) * acceleration * time^2, to calculate the displacement of the sailboard caused by the wind gust.

2. Can I use the same equations for calculating displacement in both horizontal and vertical directions?

Yes, the equations of kinematics can be used for calculating displacement in both horizontal and vertical directions. However, you will need to consider any differences in the values of velocity, acceleration, and time for each direction.

3. How do I take into account the resistance of the water when calculating the wind gust displacement of a sailboard?

The resistance of the water can be taken into account by factoring in the drag force, which is dependent on the velocity and surface area of the sailboard. This can be added to the equation for displacement to get a more accurate calculation.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the displacement of a sailboard in a wind gust?

There is not one specific formula for calculating the displacement of a sailboard in a wind gust, as it can depend on various factors such as the strength and direction of the wind, the dimensions and mass of the sailboard, and any resistance from the water. However, using the equations of kinematics and factoring in these variables can help to determine the displacement.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems related to wind gust displacement of a sailboard?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems related to wind gust displacement of a sailboard include not factoring in all relevant variables, using the wrong equations for the given scenario, and not properly converting units of measurement. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.