Heat Capacity of Air at Constant Volume

In summary, the heat capacity of air at constant volume refers to the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a specific amount of air without changing its volume. It is an important concept in thermodynamics and is influenced by factors such as pressure, temperature, and the composition of the air. The specific heat capacity of air at constant volume is lower than that at constant pressure, and it is affected by the presence of water vapor and other gases in the air. Understanding the heat capacity of air at constant volume is crucial in various fields, including meteorology, engineering, and environmental science.
s.p.q.r
Hi

I have an ongoing dispute with my mate on this one, please help to clarify this before I open up a can of whoop ass on that sorry mo-fo.

300 litres of air are compressed into a 3 litre tank. What is the heat capacity of this air?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it is?

The Cp J mol is 29.19. But because I ask for constant volume, it is definitely lower then this. This is what I think. I can find no references to constant volume anywhere and unfortunately I have no teacher to ask as I study archaeology, not physics.

Do you have the answer?

Thanks in advance.

s.p.q.r said:
The Cp J mol is 29.19. But because I ask for constant volume, it is definitely lower then this. This is what I think. I can find no references to constant volume anywhere and unfortunately I have no teacher to ask as I study archaeology, not physics.

Do you have the answer?Thanks in advance.
Air is almost entirely a diatomic gas, [itex]\gamma = C_p/C_v = 1.4[/itex] (7/5)

AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Is 1.4 per gram or mol?

Also,

How can you measure a gram of gas and how much is 1 mol?

Cheers.

Is heat capacity independent of volume for an ideal gas?

Stupid question - gas performs work while being compressed.

Last edited:
For an ideal gas heat capcity just depends on the amount (number of moles) present and the number of vibration states of the molecular.
For a real gas it also depends on the pressure because the molecules close to each other change the vibration state/bond energy.

In a modification of the "ideal gas" law, I seem to recall an equation with correction terms for the volume and pressure, respectively. Has anyone run across this?

Hi,
This ratio of 1.4, does this just mean that you divide the constant pressure capacity (1.020J/g) by 1.4?

s.p.q.r said:
Hi,
This ratio of 1.4, does this just mean that you divide the constant pressure capacity (1.020J/g) by 1.4?
[itex]\gamma = 1.4[/itex] is the ratio of the specific heat (heat flow per gram or per mole per degree K change in temperature) at constant pressure to the specific heat at constant volume. [itex]\gamma = C_p/C_v[/itex]. What you want to find is Cv. You also have to find the number of moles of air in this container to find its heat capacity (heat flow per degree K change in Temp.).

AM

Last edited:

What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree.

What is the heat capacity of air at constant volume?

The heat capacity of air at constant volume is approximately 0.718 J/g°C.

Why is heat capacity important?

Heat capacity is important because it determines how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a substance, which can impact various processes and systems.

How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity is typically measured by conducting experiments in a controlled environment and measuring the temperature change of a substance when a known amount of heat is added.

Does the heat capacity of air at constant volume change with temperature?

Yes, the heat capacity of air at constant volume can vary with temperature, but it is generally assumed to be constant for small temperature changes.