Some good research topics please?

In summary, the conversation discusses how and where physics researchers can find good research topics in the field of theoretical and experimental physics. The speaker mentions topics that are within reach for those with a graduate-level understanding of physics and not affiliated with a university. Suggestions for topics include cp violation, decay of k b mesons, inflation, extra dimensional cosmology, supersymmetry, dark matter, black hole entropy, and soliton models of elementary particles. The importance of discussing with an advisor and others in the field is also highlighted.
sus
Hi,

I was wondering how and where physics researchers find good research topics
in the field of theoretical physics? (and possibly experimental physics too)

I'm not talking about obvious holy grail of physics such as 'theory of everything'
or cold-fusion..
but some topics that are "within reach" for those who have been independently studying graduate-level physics (and knowledgeable enough to pass a typical qualifier exam)
but not affiliated with any university.

Could you provide some good topics and possibly an estimated difficulty level...

Thanks in advance...
J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no real list out there. Your advisorwill discuss a list of topics that they think you can handle for an advanced degree. Your advisor may also make you do the background work and come up with your own topic. Also taking to other people in your intended field of study will help you formulate your research.

dt

some growing topics from recent papers look like, cp violation, decay of k b mesons, violation of fundamental symmetries, meson decay with chiral perturbation theory, inflation, extra dimensional cosmology, supersymetry and extra dimensions, dark matter, black hole entropy, moving mirrors, and negative energy, soliton models of elementary particles...

can anyone think of some other hot but reasonable topics?

1. What makes a research topic "good"?

A good research topic is one that is relevant, significant, and interesting. It should address a gap in existing knowledge and have the potential to contribute to the field.

2. How do I choose a research topic?

Choosing a research topic involves brainstorming ideas, conducting background research, and considering your personal interests and strengths. It is important to also consult with your advisor or colleagues to ensure your topic is feasible and relevant.

3. Can you suggest some specific research topics?

Specific research topics will vary depending on your field and interests, but some general ideas include exploring the effects of climate change on biodiversity, studying the impact of social media on mental health, or investigating the use of artificial intelligence in healthcare.

4. How do I narrow down my research topic?

Narrowing down your research topic involves choosing a specific aspect or angle to focus on, rather than trying to cover a broad topic. This can be done by conducting more in-depth research, consulting with experts, and refining your research question.

5. Can I change my research topic during the research process?

Yes, it is possible to change your research topic during the process, but it is important to consult with your advisor and consider the potential impact on your research timeline and goals. It is best to make any changes early on in the process to avoid major disruptions.