Mastering Intro-Level Science Courses: Hours vs. Understanding?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of time and approach needed to master introductory level science courses. The general consensus is that while memorization can be helpful, it is not enough to truly understand the material. It is recommended to put in 4-5 hours per week of outside-class study time and to focus on understanding rather than just memorization. The difficulty of the course may also depend on the professor and the subject. Some suggest a combination of problem solving and memorization, while others emphasize understanding as the key to success. Overall, it is agreed that understanding is essential for long-term retention and success in more advanced courses.
The_ArtofScience
Hi!

I have some general questions for those veterans who took intro-level science courses as freshmen. I was wondering how many hours it took for you to master a single subject. Also, I'm curious if memorization will get me by?

Physics news on Phys.org
The_ArtofScience said:
Hi!

I have some general questions for those veterans who took intro-level science courses as freshmen. I was wondering how many hours it took for you to master a single subject. Also, I'm curious if memorization will get me by?

No mastery from introdcutory level science courses. They're too shallow. Four to five hours per week of outside-class study time should be enough for a good or average grade.

Memorization is useful but understanding is essential. Memorization without understanding will be meaningless.

Intro level science courses are not hard, if you put the work into them it will show. As far as how many hours of week, that depends on the person and will be different for everyone. Just review the material after each lecture and stay on top of things and you should be fine. Just do what you need to do to understand. Don't just try to memorize stuff, sure it will get you by but it will make the entire course a complete waste of time as you will just forget it all 30 seconds after the exam.

The_ArtofScience said:
Hi!

What's an intro level science course? You mean like Chem-I?

scorpa said:
Intro level science courses are not hard, if you put the work into them it will show. As far as how many hours of week, that depends on the person and will be different for everyone. Just review the material after each lecture and stay on top of things and you should be fine. Just do what you need to do to understand. Don't just try to memorize stuff, sure it will get you by but it will make the entire course a complete waste of time as you will just forget it all 30 seconds after the exam.

hahaha.. thanks. I still remember a whole lot of bio material from cramming through hs. I guess the only question for me is to find a schedule I'll stick to

berkeman said:
What's an intro level science course? You mean like Chem-I?

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to

It depends on the professor as well. The professor I had for Inorganic Chem I was pretty tough. With trying to prepare for labs, very challenging homework problems, & exams, I probably put in between 10-15 hours a week. Memorization was only useful to understand key concepts, but a large proportion of the exam consisted of problem solving. If you couldn't solve the most challenging problems in the chapter, you were going to struggle on the exam... but I have no idea if all introductory courses & professors are that challenging.

My experience is that physics requires you to solve a lot of problems and understand the material, but not to memorize it. After all, there's not really that much to memorize in physics, unless you have a crazy prof who doesn't give you a formula sheet. In biology, however, it's more important to memorize facts. Chemistry, however, seems like some linear superposition of these two eigenstates (if you'll forgive the physics joke). I think that chemistry requires a good deal of memorization, but it also requires you to do some problems and make sure that you have a decent understanding of the material. Assuming that Chem I is inorganic chemistry, your teacher probably focuses a good deal on mathematical treatment of the subject. So while I'd recommend reading the chapters a couple times, I'd also do as many problems as possible.

I don't think any science course is ideally learned through memorization. As said before, understanding is key. If you understand the material, you'll be better prepared for more advanced courses and you will retain the information longer.

1. What are intro-level science courses?

Intro-level science courses are introductory courses designed to provide students with a basic understanding of various scientific disciplines such as biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. These courses typically cover fundamental concepts, theories, and principles in each discipline, serving as a foundation for more advanced courses.

2. Who typically takes intro-level science courses?

Intro-level science courses are typically taken by students who are pursuing a degree in a scientific field or are fulfilling general education requirements. These courses are also suitable for students who have an interest in science and want to gain a better understanding of basic scientific concepts.

3. What topics are covered in intro-level science courses?

The topics covered in intro-level science courses vary depending on the specific discipline, but some common topics include cell biology, chemistry fundamentals, motion and forces, and environmental sustainability. These courses may also cover basic scientific methods, data analysis, and critical thinking skills.

4. How are intro-level science courses taught?

Intro-level science courses are typically taught through lectures, discussions, and laboratory activities. In lectures, instructors may present key concepts and theories while also providing real-world examples and applications. Laboratory activities allow students to apply their knowledge through hands-on experiments and investigations.

5. What skills can students expect to gain from intro-level science courses?

Intro-level science courses can help students develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and scientific literacy. These courses also provide a foundation for further studies in specific scientific disciplines and can help students develop a better understanding of the natural world and how it works.