Raman Microscopy - simple question

In summary, the best way to hold a sample of micron-sized polystyrene beads for raman microscopy is to use carbon tape or a roughened glass slide. The rough surface of the glass slide can provide enough confinement to keep the beads in place, although it may cause diffraction of the input beam. Alternatively, the beads can be optically trapped or placed in a drop of water on a microscope slide. Water is often used because it allows for visualization of the roughened surface, which is one of the applications of raman microscopy. However, for Coherent Antistokes Raman Microscopy, the slide preparation may not be as crucial.
n0_3sc
What's the best way to hold a sample of micron-sized polystyrene beads for raman microscopy?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My first attempt would be carbon tape of the type used in electron microscopy. Other than that, you might try to get one to sit still enough on a roughened glass slide. There should be enough confinement in the rough part of a glass slide to hold one still. I can tell you from experience that the rough glass slide won't hold micron-sized silicate particles still in the EM... too much charging and the particle flys off to find something to dump it's extra electrons onto.

roughened glass? Wouldn't that diffract my focussed input beam? I'm thinking of either 'optically trapping' it, or just placing it in a drop of water on a microscope slide. Also, does anyone know by anychance why they use water in specific?

See http://www.nanophoton.jp/eng/raman/raman-11_application.html" . Visualizing the roughened surface of a diamond file, for example, is one of the applications of raman microscopy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that was more too do with Spontaneous Raman Microscopy. In which case the slide preparation isn't as important as Coherent Antistokes Raman Microscopy - which is what I'm doing.

What is Raman Microscopy?

Raman Microscopy is a form of spectroscopy that uses a laser to analyze the vibrational properties of molecules. It can provide information about the chemical composition and structure of a sample.

How does Raman Microscopy work?

Raman Microscopy works by directing a laser at a sample and analyzing the scattered light. The scattered light contains information about the vibrational modes of the sample, which can be used to identify the molecules present.

What are the advantages of using Raman Microscopy?

Raman Microscopy has several advantages, including its non-destructive nature, high spatial resolution, and ability to analyze a wide range of materials. It also does not require any sample preparation, making it a quick and easy technique to use.

What are the limitations of Raman Microscopy?

Raman Microscopy is limited by its sensitivity to fluorescence and its inability to detect elements lighter than carbon. It also requires a relatively high laser power, which can potentially damage sensitive samples.

What are some common applications of Raman Microscopy?

Raman Microscopy is commonly used in fields such as materials science, forensics, and pharmaceuticals. It can be used to identify unknown substances, study the structure of polymers, and analyze the composition of biological samples.