Find an Impermeable Filter Online - Air Pass, Water Block

• Thread starter xArcherx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary: Semipermeable membranes are a type of impermeable filter that allow air but not water to pass. They are often used in applications where water is a concern, like fuel refineries.
xArcherx
I'm looking to buy a filter that will allow air to pass but not water. The problem is finding places online. Any suggestions? Thnx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
An impermeable filter would be a bit pointless!
Is this a medical or industrial application, what flow rate, what temperature range etc?

Impermeable wasn't a good choice of words on my part. Impermeable to water to be specific. Temp range is between 0 and 100 degrees Celsius. As for flow rate...pretty much the best I can get as long as the water is kept from getting through. For medical vs industrial...I'll take anything I can get. As long as it won't break down when wet (like paper). I'm looking at porous plastics as a possibility right now.

I am assuming you are referring to compressed air, as you don’t say. Water can be in air in more than one way. If it is in liquid form a filter will remove most of it, however if it is in vapor form, i.e. you are compressing air with a high relative humidly, you will need a dryer to remove it. You can get combination units that both filter and dry air. In the site below click on air filters and dryers for many manufacturers.
http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/Directory/Default.aspx
What type of system you use depends on volume requirements etc.

If you are getting a lot of water there may be something else wrong, like not draining tank etc. Here is a link with info on compressors:
http://www.about-air-compressors.com/water.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the links.

For application purposes, think of a water line that enters into a tank, then at the other side of the tank is the inlet (really the outlet for the tank) of another water line. At the top of the tank is an opening (vent) that has a filter such that when air and water pass into the tank, the air rises to where the filter is. The air that rises will be under some pressure as the water will be under pressure (transmitting of pressure undiminished and what not). The pressure will push the air through the filter but as soon as the air gets through and the water reaches the filter, the water can't get through. The flow rate through the filter need only be able to keep up with the incoming air. Such things can be fixed by using the right shape of filter, increasing the surface area (cylinder shaped filter of required length) to get the best flow possible. I suppose all I need to know is the micron size needed to do it (if it can be done at all).

I know there are better ways of doing it (centrifugal force) but for the application I'm looking for, it can't be done any other way.

It sounds like you are building a reservoir and if it’s built correctly; there should be no mixing of air and water, and no requirement for a filter to separate air from water.

In case you do need a filter, there are absorbent filters that will remove the water. They are used to remove water from fuel and are often made from similar to diapers or personal hygiene products. One of the major suppliers like Parker should be able to help you.

What I'm doing is actually looking to split water within a form of reservoir. The water once split will form oxygen and hydrogen gas. Rather than have the gas simply rise to a surface collection point, which depends on the apparatus being upright, I'm looking to have the gas get pushed through filters which the water can't pass. Provided the filters are located correctly about the reservoir, then orientation is no longer an issue.

I got a call back from one of the companies I emailed inquiring about the filters. They couldn't help but suggested semipermeable membranes. I can't believe I never searched for such (or even thought of such) earlier.

1. What is an impermeable filter?

An impermeable filter is a type of filter that is designed to block or prevent the passage of air or water through it. It is commonly used to purify or clean air or water by removing particles, contaminants, or impurities.

2. How does an impermeable filter work?

An impermeable filter works by using a physical barrier or membrane to trap particles or contaminants in the air or water. This barrier is designed to have very small pores or openings that allow only clean air or water to pass through, while blocking larger particles or impurities.

3. What are the benefits of using an impermeable filter?

The main benefit of using an impermeable filter is that it helps to improve the quality of air or water by removing harmful particles or contaminants. It can also help to prolong the life of appliances or equipment that use air or water by preventing damage from impurities.

4. How do I choose the right impermeable filter for my needs?

When choosing an impermeable filter, it is important to consider the type of particles or impurities you want to remove, the size of the particles, and the flow rate of air or water that needs to pass through. It is also important to choose a filter that is compatible with your specific air or water system.

5. Where can I find an impermeable filter online?

There are many online retailers and manufacturers that offer impermeable filters for sale. It is important to do research and compare different options to find one that meets your specific needs and budget. Some popular websites to find impermeable filters include Amazon, Home Depot, and Lowe's.