Isentropic compression and humidity

In summary, humidity can have a significant impact on compressor outlet temperature (COT) in a turbo charger compressor. Humid air is lighter than dry air and reduces the P1 pressure, resulting in a higher pressure ratio and thus increasing COT. In a perfect gas, the specific heat ratio is constant and does not change. The amount of water vapor air can hold depends on temperature, with higher temperatures allowing for more water vapor. This can be determined using Dalton's law of partial pressures or online calculators. Humidification through evaporative cooling can increase dry air concentration, resulting in higher density air at a lower temperature. However, further information is needed regarding the type of compressor and operating temperature for a more accurate assessment of its impact on
killerbee
Trying to assess how relative humidity impacts COT, compressor outlet temperature, on a turbo charger compressor.

It appears that humdity reduces gamma in the temp prediction formula, thus reducing COT. Dry air results in increased COT, and humdity reduces it.

Any opinions on this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Humid air is lighter than dry air and has the same effect as being at a higher altitude, in that it reduces P1 pressure; therefore, the compressor has a higher-pressure ratio (P2/P1). An increase in pressure ratio increases the COT.

As for the question of Gamma changing-- In a perfect gas it is assumed to have a constant specific heat, the specific heat ratio k=Cp/Cv is constant, therefore, it does not change.

The amount of water vapor air can hold depends on the temperature, with the higher the temperature, the more water vapor it can hold. The effect can be determined by Dalton's law of partial pressures or by using online calculators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_pressure

nucleus said:
Humid air is lighter than dry air and has the same effect as being at a higher altitude, in that it reduces P1 pressure; therefore, the compressor has a higher-pressure ratio (P2/P1). An increase in pressure ratio increases the COT.

As for the question of Gamma changing-- In a perfect gas it is assumed to have a constant specific heat, the specific heat ratio k=Cp/Cv is constant, therefore, it does not change.

The amount of water vapor air can hold depends on the temperature, with the higher the temperature, the more water vapor it can hold. The effect can be determined by Dalton's law of partial pressures or by using online calculators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_pressure

On a psychrometric chart, the process of humidification through evaporative cooling, increases dry air concentration about 7%, unless I ran the problem incorrectly.

Also, I found studies that claim Cp/Cv = 1.32 for saturated air (steam) at 1 atm, and 1.40 is what we typically use for air. This is what i was referring to. The lower gamma results in lower COT...all in theory.

Thanks for the reply...this is what I am trying to nail down. The psychrometric chart says density increases.

On a psychrometric chart, the process of humidification through evaporative cooling, increases dry air concentration about 7%, unless I ran the problem incorrectly.Also, I found studies that claim Cp/Cv = 1.32 for saturated air (steam) at 1 atm, and 1.40 is what we typically use for air. This is what i was referring to. The lower gamma results in lower COT...all in theory.Thanks for the reply...this is what I am trying to nail down. The psychrometric chart says density increases.

You lost me with that! In your first post you are talking about dry and humid air, now you are talking about steam.

You will have to come back more information as to the type of compressor you are referring to, the temperature(s) you are operating at etc.

Just take 20% humid air, at 120 degrees, and run it to saturation on the psychrometric chart.

The end result is higher density air at a lower temp

What are you working on? I was interested/excited to find this forums and see a question like yours...

more effective/efficient pre-turbo evaporative cooling...and "wet compression", similar.

Also, assessing the combustion quality of humid vs dry air.

What is isentropic compression?

Isentropic compression refers to the process of compressing a gas or liquid without any heat transfer, resulting in an increase in temperature and pressure.

Why is isentropic compression important?

Isentropic compression is important in many industrial and scientific processes, such as gas turbine engines, refrigeration systems, and air compressors. It allows for efficient compression and expansion of gases without significant energy losses.

How does humidity affect isentropic compression?

Humidity, or the amount of water vapor in the air, can affect the performance of isentropic compression. Higher humidity levels can decrease the efficiency of compression by increasing the moisture content of the gas, which requires more energy to compress.

What is the relationship between humidity and specific humidity?

Specific humidity is the ratio of the mass of water vapor to the total mass of air and is a more accurate measure of humidity compared to relative humidity. As specific humidity increases, so does the amount of water vapor in the air, which can affect the performance of isentropic compression.

What are some practical applications of isentropic compression and humidity?

Isentropic compression and humidity play important roles in various industries, such as power generation, HVAC systems, and chemical processing. They are also crucial factors in weather patterns and forecasting, as well as in understanding the Earth's climate and water cycle.