Necessary and sufficient condition

• Thread starter tamser0630
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, you can find a necessary condition for a nilpotent element of Z/nZ by dividing it by all the prime factors of n.
tamser0630
Could someone please tell me what condition on n is necessary and sufficient such that Z/nZ contains a nilpotent element?

I can't seem to find this in any of my texts.

By the way, I accidently posted this same question in the homework help section first. Sorry to anyone who's wondering why I'm cluttering up multiple boards with my quandries. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
suppose that n is the product of distinct primes p_i, with multiplicity n_i (i ranges form 1 to r), then is p_1p_2...p_r niplotent? can you see how to use that idea to find a necessary condition?

okay, so let's see..
you're asking me whether n itself is a nilpotent element of Z/nZ.

yes, I think n = (p_1)(p_2)...(p_r) is nilpotent by definition because:

n^k is congruent to 0 (mod n), for k > 0 ...right?

I'm not sure how your hint regarding the prime factorization can be used though. Can you elaborate? I did manage to find something while I was reading that I thought might help me:

if x^k is congruent to 0 (mod n) ---> then every prime dividing n divides x also.

*this works as far as I can tell (just by trying a few examples)
though I'm not sure why. but it seems to be along the same
lines as your hint (because "every prime dividing n" is the prime
factorization of n ..which you told me to consider).*

so I guess all the nilpotent elements of Z/nZ would have to be divisible by every single prime which divides n.

I still don't see how any of this leads me to a necessary condition for n though.

please help!

as n is zero that is not what i meant, I said take one of each prime factor of n, not n. eg in 18=2*3*3, consider 2*3. If you think about this you will obtain a neccesary and sufficent condition. Indeed it appears you have, but just don't realize it. You've proven that it is necessary for every prime factor of n to divide a nilpotent element (which is also sufficient), so you need to figure out when that gives you a non-zero possible nilpotent element.

Last edited:
hey, how's this - I think I have an answer..

does the prime factorization of n have to contain a repeating factor?

this makes sense to me because, for example if n = 18 then..

18 = (2)(3)(3) <---- there are two 3's here (3 is a repeating factor)

so if I divide by the repeating factor I get 6!.. which is nilpotent because the prime factorization of 6 contains all the prime factors of 18 (minus one of the 3's which I had one of to spare anyway)!

it seems good to me, what do you think?!
and thank you for all the help!

What is the concept of necessary and sufficient condition?

The concept of necessary and sufficient condition is a logical relationship between two statements. It states that one statement (the necessary condition) must be present in order for the other statement (the sufficient condition) to be true. In other words, the necessary condition is a prerequisite for the sufficient condition.

What is an example of necessary and sufficient condition?

An example of necessary and sufficient condition is "If it rains, the ground will be wet." In this statement, rain is the necessary condition for the ground to be wet and the ground being wet is the sufficient condition for it to have rained. Without rain (necessary condition), the ground cannot be wet (sufficient condition).

What is the difference between necessary and sufficient condition?

The main difference between necessary and sufficient condition is that the necessary condition is a prerequisite for the sufficient condition to be true. In other words, the presence of the necessary condition is required for the sufficient condition to be true. However, the sufficient condition alone does not guarantee the truth of the necessary condition.

How are necessary and sufficient conditions used in science?

Necessary and sufficient conditions are used in science to establish cause and effect relationships. By identifying the necessary condition, scientists can determine what is required for a certain phenomenon to occur. The sufficient condition helps to confirm that the identified necessary condition is indeed the cause of the phenomenon.

Can a necessary condition also be a sufficient condition?

Yes, a necessary condition can also be a sufficient condition. This is known as a biconditional statement or if and only if statement. In this case, the necessary condition is not only required for the sufficient condition to be true, but the sufficient condition is also required for the necessary condition to be true. An example of this would be "A shape is a square if and only if it has four equal sides and four right angles."