Solving Cantilever Load Cell Drift Issues

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary, Scott is working on a cantilever load cell with two strain gages wired in a half bridge configuration. The circuit also includes a nulling potentiometer and an instrumentation amp with a gain of 750. There is a noticeable drift in the output and a delay in voltage settling after applying a load. Scott suspects the issue may be due to loose connections from the strain gages and is seeking advice on how to make better connections on a breadboard.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

I recently put together a standard (or mostly so ;)) cantilever load cell for some tests I want to do (basically I am making a screw driven tensile machine). The cantilever has two strain gages mounted on it. These strain gages are wired in a half bridge configuration. In addition to this circuit I have a nulling potentiometer. The two standard outputs from the bridge circuit are taken and put into an instrumentation amp with a gain of about 750. I understand that typically these types of setups are unforgiving in terms of noise, but this is not my problem. The output of the circuit is not so noisy (at least with the level of precision I am concerned with), but it has an annoying drift(which varies in rate). Additionally there seems to be a significant delay in the settling of the voltage after I apply the load. When I jostle around the lead wires connected to the circuit typically the voltage will settle within a reasonable amount of what it was before, though occasionally it shifts by a much higher amount. From the tests I have done and loads I have applied (just static weights), it seems that the output is linear minus the drift. It might also be useful to know that this is a very thin Al-cantilever with the strain gages not covered and mounted with epoxy (I've been thinking that maybe I should cover the entire surface of the strain gage w/ epoxy, but this would mean that I would potentially lose a gage and have to remount one(again) if a lead broke or crossed or whatever). Any advice, speculation, and questions are very welcome.

Thanks,
-Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I think I found the main source of the problem as being loss lead connections from the strain gage. The signals seem considerably more stable now. What would you guys recommend for having good connections to a breadboard? Should I dip some solder onto each lead and try to make a permanent connection? Is there a standard way of handling this? Should I just use tape? At this point it seems that this might be a better thread for the electronics section.

Thanks,
-Scott

Hello Scott,

Thank you for sharing your cantilever load cell setup and the issues you are facing. Based on your description, it seems that the drift in your output voltage is likely caused by a combination of factors, including temperature changes, mechanical stress, and possibly even electromagnetic interference.

To address the temperature issue, you may want to consider using a temperature compensation circuit or a temperature sensor to account for any changes in temperature that may affect the strain gages. This can help stabilize the output voltage and reduce drift.

In addition, the mechanical stress on the cantilever and the strain gages can also contribute to drift. It is important to ensure that the load is applied evenly and consistently to the cantilever, and that there are no external forces causing stress on the gages. You may also want to consider using a strain gauge adhesive that is specifically designed for high-stress environments.

Electromagnetic interference can also be a factor in drift. Make sure that your setup is shielded from any nearby sources of interference, such as power cables or electronic devices. You can also try using twisted pair cables for your connections to help reduce interference.

Covering the strain gages with epoxy may also help reduce drift, as it can provide protection from external factors and help stabilize the gages. However, as you mentioned, there is a risk of damaging or losing a gage during the process. If possible, it may be worth trying to cover the gages with a thin layer of epoxy to see if it has any effect on the drift.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in solving your cantilever load cell drift issues. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like to discuss any other potential solutions.

Best,

1. What causes cantilever load cell drift?

Cantilever load cell drift can be caused by a number of factors, including temperature changes, mechanical stress, and signal interference.

2. How can I prevent or minimize cantilever load cell drift?

To prevent or minimize cantilever load cell drift, it is important to properly install the load cell and ensure that it is not exposed to extreme temperatures or mechanical stress. Additionally, using shielded cables and minimizing signal interference can help reduce drift.

3. What are some common methods for solving cantilever load cell drift issues?

Some common methods for solving cantilever load cell drift issues include zero balancing, temperature compensation, and using active or passive compensation techniques to stabilize the output signal.

4. How often should I calibrate my cantilever load cell?

It is recommended to calibrate cantilever load cells at least once a year or more frequently if they are exposed to harsh conditions or experience frequent usage. Regular calibration can help identify and address any drift issues that may arise.

5. Can I use software to solve cantilever load cell drift issues?

Yes, there are software programs available that can help to identify and correct cantilever load cell drift. These programs use advanced algorithms and compensation techniques to stabilize the output signal and improve accuracy.