How Do You Solve for tanB in an Elastic Collision Problem?

In summary: Thanks for any help you can give!In summary, Homework Equations asks for an expression for tanB involving only the masses and angle A. The part I'm stuck on is where they ask us to obtain an expression for tanB involving only the masses and angle A. I found terms for v1 and equated them eventually getting: tanB = ((m1u1cosA)/(m1u1cosA - m2v2))*tanA But now I'm stuck.
Welshy

Homework Statement

A sphere of mass m1 traveling at velocity u1 collides elastically with a stationary sphere of m2. The particles move away with v1 and v2 respectively.

I'm at part 4, of 5. It asks us to resolve the conservation of momentum equations normal and tangential to the post-collision velocity of m2. I obtained these equations using the diagram that's provided. The part I'm stuck on is where they ask us to obtain an expression for tanB involving only the masses and angle A.

A = angle of incidence
B = angle of reflection

The 5th part asks "Hence when does the angle of incidence equal angle of reflection?". So I know the resultant equation should be something along the lines of:

tanB = ((m1 + m2)/m2)*tanA

as m1 should be << m2

Homework Equations

m1u1cosA = -m1v1cosB + m2v2

m1u1sinA = -m1v1sinB

m1u12 = m1v12 + m2v22

The Attempt at a Solution

I found terms for v1 and equated them eventually getting:

tanB = ((m1u1cosA)/(m1u1cosA - m2v2))*tanA

But now I'm stuck. Any pointers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Welshy said:
m1u1cosA = -m1v1cosB + m2v2

m1u1sinA = -m1v1sinB

Hi Welshy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What about the energy equation?

tiny-tim said:
Hi Welshy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What about the energy equation?
I used that in an earlier part of the question and when I tried to use it here it only complicated things by giving me more velocity terms which I couldn't cancel.

Any pointers on how it could be used - or even if my existing methods are on the right track?

Hint:

i] put A = B

ii] use (u1 + v1) and (u1 - v1), and the energy equation. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hint:

i] put A = B

Sorry, I don't think I worded the question right. The bit I'm stuck on needs B = [mass terms]*A so I can't do that yet. But I'll try the other hint. Thanks.

tiny-tim said:
Hint:

i] put A = B

ii] use (u1 + v1) and (u1 - v1), and the energy equation. :smile:

I'm having no joy with this at all. Each of u1 and v1 can have 2 different equations. That gives a total of 8 combinations for (u1 - v1)(u1 + v1) and I'm sure I've tried them all.

I don't think I can make them cancel that way when A doesn't = B . :/

Any more hints that anyone can give? Is tiny-tim's method valid for A not equal to B? And, if so, where will I pull my speed equations from?

The sheer algebra of this just has me stumped. :/

1. What is a collision of two spheres?

A collision of two spheres is when two spherical objects come into contact with each other and exert forces on each other.

2. What factors affect the collision of two spheres?

The factors that affect the collision of two spheres include the mass and velocity of the spheres, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the objects.

3. How is the collision of two spheres calculated?

The collision of two spheres can be calculated using the laws of motion and principles of conservation of momentum and energy.

4. What types of collisions can occur between two spheres?

There are two types of collisions that can occur between two spheres: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, the spheres bounce off each other with no loss of kinetic energy, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

5. What real-life applications involve the collision of two spheres?

The collision of two spheres has real-life applications in fields such as sports, where objects such as balls or pucks collide with each other, and in physics experiments, where scientists study collisions to understand the behavior of matter and energy.