The Klein-Gorden Equation and the Mass-Sqaured Factor -a question on natural units

In summary, the conversation discusses a consistency question regarding the dimensions of the Klein-Gorden Equation. The equation is directly related to a relativistic equation, and can be given under natural units. The natural unit dimensionality of the equation cannot be disputed, and it is derived independently as M^2=\frac{\hbar c}{G}. The discussion also considers the use of the KG Equation for a spinless quantum field and the modification of the equation to include a quantization of gravitational charge on matter. The modified equation is given as GM^2=\hbar c and further discussion ensues on its validity. The conversation ends with a plea for someone to answer the question.
ManyNames

Homework Statement

A Consistency question regarding the dimensions of the KG Equation.

Homework Equations

[tex]M^2=\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex] for a quantization of gravitational charge on matter

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a few things however concerning the KG equation. It is directly related to a relativistic equation which is directly a consequence or rather an absolute solution to the Dirac Equation.

The Klein-Gorden Equation if my memory serves me correctly can be given under natural units... and looking quickly through some notes, this is given as:

[tex]-\partial^{2}_{t} \psi + \nabla^2 \psi=M^2 \psi[/tex]

Now since [itex]M^2[/itex] has a natural unit dimensionality, the equation if derived independantly was:

[tex]M^2=\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex]

So since the natural units of dimensionality cannot be disputed with the Klein-Gorden Equation under the same consistency, it seems that the mass-squared signature would not alter the equation, but the equation would have a new quantized interpretation.

Now, since the KG Equation is used for a spinless quantum field, which should not i would have suspected alter the issue i raised, because it turns out that spin really isn't a physical spin at all, but rather the element for particles with some angular momentum. Nevertheless, since the equation i modified, (which i will simply name as the 'Modified Klein-Gorden Equation,') the KG Equation itself does describe the quantum amplitude for finding a point particle in various places in spacetime, which is of course, perfectly consistent for any quantized locality.

The modified equation i gave, was, as i take you through the derivations of a quantized charge:

[tex]GM^2=\hbar c[/tex]

thus

Therego, my question enhanced is, surely this must be true, keeping to usual rules yes?

[tex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \left(\partial_{\mu} \phi \right)^2 - \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar c}{G} \phi^2 [/tex]

So here i have replaced the [tex]M^2[/tex] signature with the quantization of [tex]\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex] whilst pertinently remaining with the use of natural units. Thus, the modified equation would describe a qantization of the gravitational charge on a mass in some field [tex]\phi[/tex].

It seems reasonable no? Or am i missing something pertient?

Physics news on Phys.org

ManyNames said:

Homework Statement

A Consistency question regarding the dimensions of the KG Equation.

Homework Equations

[tex]M^2=\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex] for a quantization of gravitational charge on matter

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a few things however concerning the KG equation. It is directly related to a relativistic equation which is directly a consequence or rather an absolute solution to the Dirac Equation.

The Klein-Gorden Equation if my memory serves me correctly can be given under natural units... and looking quickly through some notes, this is given as:

[tex]-\partial^{2}_{t} \psi + \nabla^2 \psi=M^2 \psi[/tex]

Now since [itex]M^2[/itex] has a natural unit dimensionality, the equation if derived independantly was:

So since the natural units of dimensionality cannot be disputed with the Klein-Gorden Equation under the same consistency, it seems that the mass-squared signature would not alter the equation, but the equation would have a new quantized interpretation.

Now, since the KG Equation is used for a spinless quantum field, which should not i would have suspected alter the issue i raised, because it turns out that spin really isn't a physical spin at all, but rather the element for particles with some angular momentum. Nevertheless, since the equation i modified, (which i will simply name as the 'Modified Klein-Gorden Equation,') the KG Equation itself does describe the quantum amplitude for finding a point particle in various places in spacetime, which is of course, perfectly consistent for any quantized locality.

The modified equation i gave, was, as i take you through the derivations of a quantized charge:

[tex]GM^2=\hbar c[/tex]

thus

Therego, my question enhanced is, surely this must be true, keeping to usual rules yes?

[tex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \left(\partial_{\mu} \phi \right)^2 - \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar c}{G} \phi^2 [/tex]

So here i have replaced the [tex]M^2[/tex] signature with the quantization of [tex]\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex] whilst pertinently remaining with the use of natural units. Thus, the modified equation would describe a qantization of the gravitational charge on a mass in some field [tex]\phi[/tex].

It seems reasonable no? Or am i missing something pertient?

Can no one answer this for me... it's very imortant, and i would appreciate it.

Thanks.

1. What is the Klein-Gorden equation?

The Klein-Gorden equation is a relativistic quantum field equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles. It was proposed by physicists Oskar Klein and Walter Gordon in 1926 and is used to describe the behavior of particles with spin 0, such as the Higgs boson.

2. What is the mass-squared factor in the Klein-Gorden equation?

The mass-squared factor in the Klein-Gorden equation is a term used to represent the mass of a particle in natural units. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the particle by the speed of light squared (c^2) and then dividing by Planck's constant (h). In natural units, where c and h are equal to 1, the mass-squared factor is simply equal to the mass of the particle.

3. How are natural units used in the Klein-Gorden equation?

Natural units are used in the Klein-Gorden equation to simplify calculations and remove unnecessary physical constants. In these units, the speed of light (c) and Planck's constant (h) are equal to 1, making equations easier to work with. The mass-squared factor is also used in natural units to represent the mass of a particle.

4. What are the advantages of using natural units in the Klein-Gorden equation?

Using natural units in the Klein-Gorden equation has several advantages. It simplifies calculations and removes the need for physical constants, making equations easier to work with. It also allows for a more elegant and intuitive understanding of the behavior of particles, as the fundamental units of length, time, and mass are all equal to 1 in natural units.

5. Can the Klein-Gorden equation be used for particles with spin?

No, the Klein-Gorden equation can only be used to describe spinless particles. For particles with spin, the Dirac equation is used, which was derived from the Klein-Gorden equation by including spin. The Dirac equation is used to describe fermions, such as electrons, which have spin 1/2.