Poisson Distrib: Prob 10 Tubes Show Growth

So, in your expression, q0 = 1 - p0 = 1 - 1 = 0. So, it looks like you're not really using the binomial distribution at all, but rather just the probability of finding at least one bacterium in a test tube, as calculated in your first attempt.
Vagrant

Homework Statement

A source of liquid is known to contain bacteria, with the mean number of bacteria per cubic centimeter equal to 3. Ten 1 c.c. test tubes are filled with liquid. Calculate the probability that all 10 test tubes will show growth, that is contain at least 1 bacterium each. (use Poisson distribution)

Homework Equations

P(r)=(e-m*mr)/r!

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking m=3;
N=10 (not used)
P(1)+P(2)+P(3)=0.5974

Answer provided is 0.600, is my solution correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
shramana said:

Homework Statement

A source of liquid is known to contain bacteria, with the mean number of bacteria per cubic centimeter equal to 3. Ten 1 c.c. test tubes are filled with liquid. Calculate the probability that all 10 test tubes will show growth, that is contain at least 1 bacterium each. (use Poisson distribution)

Homework Equations

P(r)=(e-m*mr)/r!

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking m=3;
N=10 (not used)
P(1)+P(2)+P(3)=0.5974

Answer provided is 0.600, is my solution correct?
No. The probability of at least 1 bacterium in a test tube is P(1) + P(2) + P(3) + P(4) + P(5) + ... Why did you stop at 3 bacteria?

The probability I showed is equal to 1 - P(0), which is about .9502. This is the probability of finding 1 or more bacteria in one test tube. Now, how do you get the probability of finding 1 or more bacteria in all 10 test tubes?

The answer I got was .6001, rounded to 4 decimal places.

Taking p=0.9502 as a success, n=10 for binomial distribution:
P=10C10*p10*q0
P=0.600.

Is this correct?

shramana said:
Taking p=0.9502 as a success, n=10 for binomial distribution:
P=10C10*p10*q0
P=0.600.

Is this correct?

Yes.

Thanks.

shramana said:
P=10C10*p10*q0

I'm working on a similar problem. Can someone tell me where this equation came from? What's c and q (and what do those 2 10's next to the c mean)?

C stands for combinations. The first expression in this binomial probability is 10C10, which is the number of combinations of 10 things taken 10 at a time, which turns out to be 1. p is a probability of something happening (you didn't give any context here, so I can't say anything more) and q is the probability of something not happening, which means that q = 1 - p.

What is a Poisson Distribution?

A Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of times an event occurs within a specific time period or space when the events are independent and occur at a constant rate.

What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a function that describes the likelihood of a random variable taking on certain values. It is used in statistics to model data and make predictions.

How is a Poisson Distribution different from other probability distributions?

A Poisson distribution differs from other probability distributions in that it only models discrete events that occur at a constant rate and are independent. Other distributions may model continuous events or events that are dependent on one another.

What does it mean when a Poisson Distribution is used to show growth in 10 tubes?

This means that the data being analyzed is measuring the number of times an event occurs (such as bacterial growth) in 10 separate tubes, and the Poisson Distribution is being used to predict the likelihood of different numbers of growth occurring in those tubes.

How is a Poisson Distribution used in scientific research?

A Poisson Distribution is commonly used in scientific research to model data related to discrete events, such as the number of mutations in a DNA sample or the number of particles emitted from a radioactive source. It allows researchers to make predictions and draw conclusions about the likelihood of different outcomes.