Exploring Electromagnetic Induction: From Power Cords to Metal Hangers

In summary: So you could theoretically remove the plug from the wall, and then unravel the cord to experiment with the AC magnetic field.
NotoriousNick
basic E and M from purcells:

A change in magnetic field with respect to time, will induce a current in a conducting loop that is located in that changing magnetic field.

Does that mean, that if I take a power cord that is plugged into a device while it is running, so that way it is taking a load, and wrap it into loops, that I now have a current loop alternating at 60 Hz, and therefore a varying magnetic field.

With this magnetic field, could I stick in another wire loop inside and power a load?

IE Let's say you wrapped the cord for your toaster oven around a metal jacket hanger. Would you be able to pull a current off of this hanger?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because the power cord contains two (often twisted) wires. The same amount of current is flowing in (in the "hot" wire) and out of the device.
Ideally the fields from the two currents cancel out meaning the net magnetic field is zero.

So if I unraveled the power cord, I'd be able to perform this experiment?

Also, since there is a load drawn from the device, let's say coffee maker, wouldn't that make the currents flowing in and out different? therefore having a net current? and net magnetic field?

NotoriousNick said:

Also, since there is a load drawn from the device, let's say coffee maker, wouldn't that make the currents flowing in and out different? therefore having a net current? and net magnetic field?

Please don't start taking apart AC Mains power cords for experiments. You need a lot more knowledge and experience before you start messing with high voltages. The shock and fire hazards are just too great.

Instead, get a 12Vac "wall wart" transformer power supply (like a charger from Radio Shack, etc.), and then you can start splitting the output wires apart to experiment with AC magnetic fields. Much safer!

These are purely hypothetical questions

I once bought a very long (I think 500 feet) coil of 14-Ga coiled copper wire (like contractors use for house wiring) and plugged it into the wall in series with a 1-KW kitchen appliance. Works nice. Lots of inductance.

NotoriousNick said:

Yes, that's exactly how the power adapters that convert AC to DC work: they have a step-down transformer that converts 120V to a lower AC voltage, which is then converted to DC with a rectifier circuit.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field can produce an electric current in a conductor. It was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction occurs when a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces a current in the conductor, which can then be used to power electrical devices.

What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as power cords, transformers, generators, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and in the production of electricity from renewable sources like wind and hydro power.

How is electromagnetic induction related to power cords and metal hangers?

Power cords and metal hangers are both examples of conductors that can be affected by electromagnetic induction. Power cords use electromagnetic induction to transfer electricity from a power source to an electronic device, while metal hangers can become magnetized when placed in a changing magnetic field.

What are some potential dangers associated with electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction can be dangerous if not properly controlled. High levels of electromagnetic radiation can be harmful to human health, and strong electromagnetic fields can interfere with the functioning of electronic devices. It is important to properly shield and regulate electromagnetic fields in order to avoid these potential dangers.