Question about a circuit using a 555 timer

In summary, the 555 timer will not pulse if you have a 9V power supply with 30 ohms in series with it.
line2
Here's the drawn circuit: http://imgur.com/DGo9M.png

R1 is 10k Ohm resistor
Pot is a 100k Ohm potentiometer
C is 1.0uF Electrolytic Capacitor

My question is, what happens when the potentiometer is turned down to 0 resistance? Would the circuit fry?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pin 7 discharges the capacitor after it has fully charged. So, if you made the resistor almost zero, the capacitor would discharge very quickly.

This produces an output that is mostly high but with a very short low time.

If you could make the resistance zero, the output would stay high all the time but there is a risk that the transistor that discharges the capacitor (inside the chip) could get damaged, especially if a large electrolytic capacitor was used.

problem with my HA17 555 timer

i recently bought my 555 timer and i simply can't get it to pulse. I flick on the switch and i get my buzzer to work that is connected to the output but i don't hear it turn off and on. I set my configuration as astable 6.5 Hz. i checked all my connections and everything seems right. However during my first run, i connected my timer circuit parallel to 1k that was instead of two 1k connected with source along with 30 ohms the circuit (that gave off 9v 8mA). And during my first 2 runs my timer was heating up really fast. After adding another 1k to the source (as the pic) i was able to get 5V and then it didn't heat up. I even checked my simulation with multisim and despite of that i don't get any pulse (the buzzer jus keeps going and no beep).

I am thinking its either i burned my timer or i got the pinning wrong. Check both my image files to see i am doing anything wrong. Btw 9V with 30 ohms in series depicts my adaptor that gives off 9V with 300 mA

Download file from link below.

http://squadinvenire.uuuq.com/555_timer.rar

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 555 timer and how does it work?

The 555 timer is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that is commonly used in electronic circuits as a timer, oscillator, or pulse generator. It works by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and transistors to create a stable output waveform.

2. What are the main applications of a 555 timer?

The 555 timer can be used in a variety of applications, such as controlling the timing of electronic devices, generating clock signals, creating pulse-width modulation (PWM) signals, and generating tone signals in audio circuits.

3. How do I connect a 555 timer in a circuit?

The 555 timer has 8 pins that are labeled with specific functions, such as power supply, trigger, output, and reset. To connect it in a circuit, you will need to identify these pins and connect them to the appropriate components according to your circuit design.

4. Can a 555 timer be used in both analog and digital circuits?

Yes, the 555 timer can be used in both analog and digital circuits. In analog circuits, it can be used as a timer or oscillator, while in digital circuits, it can be used as a pulse generator or clock signal source.

5. How do I calculate the frequency and duty cycle of a 555 timer circuit?

The frequency and duty cycle of a 555 timer circuit can be calculated using the formulas provided in its datasheet. The frequency is determined by the values of the resistors and capacitors connected to the timer, while the duty cycle is determined by the ratio of the charging and discharging times of the capacitor.