Conservation of angular momentum / finding change in rotational kinetic energy

In summary: I'm not sure where I went wrong. I'll try again later and let you know what happens. Thanks for your help!In summary, the two disks of identical mass but different radii eventually reach a common angular velocity due to the frictional force between the surfaces. The change in rotational kinetic energy is 9/50 of the initial kinetic energy.
ezperkins
Two disks of identical mass but different radii (r and 2r) are spinning on frictionless bearings at the same angular speed ωo, but in opposite directions. The two disks are brought slowly together. The resulting frictional force between the surfaces eventually brings them to a common angular velocity.

10-p-052.gif

(a) What is the magnitude of that final angular velocity in terms of ωo
[tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex]ωo < - I know that's right.

(b) What is the change in rotational kinetic energy of the system? (Take K as the initial kinetic energy.) This is what I need help with.

I used Ke=Iω2, coupled the system, considered one direction negative and one positive, and got [tex]\frac{9}{50}[/tex]mr2ωo2, which is apparently wrong. . .

Thank you ahead of time!

Physics news on Phys.org
One mistake you made is that the kinetic energy is equal to K=(1/2)Iω2, not Iω2. If that alone isn't the problem, show the details of your calculation so we can see where you might have gone wrong.

ezperkins said:
Two disks of identical mass but different radii (r and 2r) are spinning on frictionless bearings at the same angular speed ωo, but in opposite directions. The two disks are brought slowly together. The resulting frictional force between the surfaces eventually brings them to a common angular velocity.

10-p-052.gif

(a) What is the magnitude of that final angular velocity in terms of ωo
[tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex]ωo < - I know that's right.

(b) What is the change in rotational kinetic energy of the system? (Take K as the initial kinetic energy.) This is what I need help with.

I used Ke=Iω2, coupled the system, considered one direction negative and one positive, and got [tex]\frac{9}{50}[/tex]mr2ωo2, which is apparently wrong. . .

Thank you ahead of time!

Well, I tried it quite a few different ways, that was just the last wrong answer I got before deciding to ask for help. Here's what I did:

1) [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ke = Kf - Ki

2) [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ke = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]If[tex]\omega[/tex]f2 - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Ii[tex]\omega[/tex]o2

3) [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]((2m)(3r2))[tex]\omega[/tex]f2 - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]((2m)(3r2))[tex]\omega[/tex]f2

4) [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](6mr2)[tex]\omega[/tex]f2 - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](6mr2)[tex]\omega[/tex]o2

5) 3mr2[tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]o2 - 3mr2[tex]\omega[/tex]o2

et cetera

I guess I missed some steps the first way through, but I'm sure it's wrong just the same.

I don't follow how you calculated the moment of inertia. Could you explain that?

Perhaps I can just start you out on the right path. :smile: First off, the moment of inertia of a disk is

[tex] I _{\mbox{disk}} = \frac{mr^2}{2} [/tex]

From there, I suggest that you write out the individual initial kinetic energies of each disk, at least as a start. You can always simplify later.

[tex] K_i = \frac{1}{2}I_1 \omega_0^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_2 \omega_0^2 [/tex]

Once you have this written out (as above) you can then simplify it a little now, or simplify it later.

Either way, note that

[tex] I_1 = \frac{mr^2}{2} [/tex]

and

[tex] I_2 = \frac{m(2r)^2}{2}[/tex]

Adding these together does not give the ((2m)(3r2)) that you were using in your previous post.

I know how to calculate the moment of inertia. What I don't get is what you did.

collinsmark said:
Perhaps I can just start you out on the right path. :smile: First off, the moment of inertia of a disk is

[tex] I _{\mbox{disk}} = \frac{mr^2}{2} [/tex]

From there, I suggest that you write out the individual initial kinetic energies of each disk, at least as a start. You can always simplify later.

[tex] K_i = \frac{1}{2}I_1 \omega_0^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_2 \omega_0^2 [/tex]

Once you have this written out (as above) you can then simplify it a little now, or simplify it later.

Either way, note that

[tex] I_1 = \frac{mr^2}{2} [/tex]

and

[tex] I_2 = \frac{m(2r)^2}{2}[/tex]

Adding these together does not give the ((2m)(3r2)) that you were using in your previous post.

so [tex] K_i = \frac{3}{4}mr^2\omega_0^2 [/tex] ?
and [tex] K_f = \frac{9}{50}mr^2\omega_0^2 [/tex]
thus [tex] \Delta K = \frac{57}{100}mr^2\omega_0^2}[/tex]

I feel like such an idiot. . .

vela said:
I know how to calculate the moment of inertia. What I don't get is what you did.

Oh, I'm sorry. I basically treated the disks as one big disk.

I have spent more than two and a half hours on this problem and have gotten nowhere. I give up. Thank you vela and collinsmark for your help.

ezperkins said:
I have spent more than two and a half hours on this problem and have gotten nowhere. I give up. Thank you vela and collinsmark for your help.
You're really close; you're just not calculating the rotational masses correctly, probably just algebra mistakes. Once you clear that up, you'll get the right answer. It might be good to take a break and come back to it later. Errors you can't see right now may pop out clear as day later.

vela said:
You're really close; you're just not calculating the rotational masses correctly, probably just algebra mistakes. Once you clear that up, you'll get the right answer. It might be good to take a break and come back to it later. Errors you can't see right now may pop out clear as day later.

I tried that already, on Monday and Tuesday.

I guess I'm just not "physics material."

I really appreciate your time though.

1. What is angular momentum and why is it conserved?

Angular momentum is a measurement of an object's rotational motion. It is conserved because, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How do you calculate angular momentum?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (a measure of how fast it is rotating).

3. How can angular momentum be changed?

Angular momentum can be changed by applying an external torque to the system. This can be done by applying a force at a distance from the object's axis of rotation, or by changing the distribution of mass within the object.

4. Can the change in angular momentum be predicted?

Yes, the change in angular momentum can be predicted using the law of conservation of angular momentum. This means that as long as the external torque acting on the system is known, the change in angular momentum can be calculated.

5. How is the change in rotational kinetic energy related to angular momentum?

The change in rotational kinetic energy is related to angular momentum through the equation ΔK = ~L, where ΔK is the change in rotational kinetic energy and ~L is the change in angular momentum. This means that any change in angular momentum will result in a corresponding change in rotational kinetic energy.