Understanding Eq (4.19) of Peskin-Schroeder

• Thread starter praharmitra
  • Start date
In summary: The Schr¨ odinger equation for a quantum system isH_0(t)=iH_0(t_0)+e^{-iH_0(t_0)t}The second equation isH_I(t)=-e^{iH_0(t_0)+e^{-iH_0(t_0)t}}The two equations are related bye^{iH_0(t_0)+e^{-iH_0(t_0)t}}=e^{iH_0(t_0)}.In summary, the authors obtained the second equation of eq (4.19), Page 84
praharmitra
Can someone explain to me how the authors got the second equation of eq (4.19), Page 84, of Peskin Schroeder.

The equation is:

[tex]
H_I(t) = e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}(H_{\text{int}}) e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} = \int d^3x \frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi_I(t,\textbf{x})^4
[/tex]
where
[tex]
H_{\text{int}} = \int d^3x \frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi^4(\textbf{x})
[/tex]
I do not understand how the second part of this eq is equal to the third. Please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org

Since [itex] e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} = 1[/itex], you can insert it between each factor of [itex]\phi[/itex]:

[tex]
e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}\phi^4 e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)}
= \left[ e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}\phi e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} \right]
\left[ e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}\phi e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} \right]
=\phi_I^4
[/tex]

matonski said:
Since [itex] e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} = 1[/itex], you can insert it between each factor of [itex]\phi[/itex]:

[tex]
e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}\phi^4 e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} \\
= \left[ e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}\phi e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} \right]
\left[ e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}\phi e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)} \right] \\
=\phi_I^4
[/tex]

Of course that would be the natural thing to do. However, [tex]e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}\phi e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)}[/tex] is a vague statement since you have not examined the arguments of [tex]\phi[/tex].

In our current context of [tex]H_{int}[/tex], the argument is [tex]\phi(\textbf{x})[/tex]. However, the definition of [tex]\phi_I[/tex] is

[tex]
\phi_I(t,\textbf{x}) = e^{iH_0(t-t_0)} \phi(t_0,\textbf{x}) e^{-iH_0(t-t_0)}
[/tex]
where [tex]\phi(t_0,\textbf{x}) = e^{iHt_0}\phi(\textbf{x})e^{-iHt_0} [/tex]. This surely does not reproduce the same result that has been written.

What am I doing wrong?

[tex]\phi(t_0,\mathbf{x}) = \phi(\mathbf{x})[/tex].

Schroedinger picture operators are defined at some reference time [tex]t_0[/tex].

1. What is Eq (4.19) of Peskin-Schroeder and why is it important?

Eq (4.19) of Peskin-Schroeder is the equation for the Feynman propagator, a fundamental tool in quantum field theory. It describes the amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point to another in spacetime. It is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of particle interactions and make predictions about the behavior of particles.

2. How is Eq (4.19) derived in Peskin-Schroeder?

Eq (4.19) is derived from the path integral formulation of quantum field theory, where the Feynman propagator is expressed as a sum over all possible paths a particle can take between two points. This sum is then evaluated using the principle of least action, resulting in the final form of Eq (4.19).

3. Can you explain the components of Eq (4.19) in Peskin-Schroeder?

Eq (4.19) consists of two terms, the numerator and the denominator. The numerator contains the exponential term, which includes the action of the particle and its interactions with other particles. The denominator contains the momentum of the particle and its mass, which determines the probability of the particle's propagation.

4. How is Eq (4.19) used in practical applications?

Eq (4.19) is used in practical applications to calculate the amplitude of particle interactions, such as in the calculation of scattering cross-sections. It is also used in theoretical calculations to make predictions about the behavior of particles in different situations.

5. Are there any limitations to Eq (4.19) in Peskin-Schroeder?

Like any mathematical equation, Eq (4.19) has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions and approximations, and may not accurately describe all physical phenomena. Additionally, it may become more complex and difficult to use in certain situations, such as when dealing with strong interactions or higher-order corrections.