Order of Calculus Classes

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to take in a differential equations class from AP Calculus AB/Calculus I and asks for a list of classes beyond differentials that are completed by college students who have skipped Calculus II. The response provides a list of classes through differential equations at Oregon State University and mentions the need for linear algebra as a pre-requisite. Additionally, the conversation touches on the topic of taking courses in a specific order for learning quantum mechanics.
asen7
Hi everyone,

I just have a question, Could someone please outline the steps to differential equations class from AP calculus AB/calculus I? And out of curiosity, could also list some classes beyond differentials (if there are any) that are completed by college students who have skipped Calculus II (by taking AP Calculus AB and BC) by the end of their undergraduate study?

And could you please label the name of the class along with the level. So for example: Calculus III - Multivariable Calculus.

I am interested in learning a physics topic but it requires differential equations, so I would just like to see what I have to work towards.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I took AP Calculus in high school, (probably Calculus AB, but I'm not sure), and have since been taking math at Oregon State University (OSU for short).

At OSU, AP Calculus is equivalent to Math 251 and most of Math 252 (someone who's done AP Calculus may place out of Math 252).

Here's the list of classes through Differential Equations at OSU:

Code:
MTH251 -- differential calculus (AP Calculus)
MTH252 -- integral calculus (AP Calculus)
MTH254 -- Vector Calculus I
MTH256 -- Applied Ordinary Differential Equations

Math 256 is only for single differential equations. At OSU, there's also Math 480 (Systems of Ordinary Differential Equations), which depends on Math 341 (Linear Algebra I) and Math 256. Math 341 itself depends only on Math 254.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Crosstalk, it did help a bit, butthere are some other classes that I need to take that you didn't mention.

I know a couple of classes but not sure when you take them, and it is to learn quantum mechanics. I know you need to know differential equations, multivariable calculus, partial differential, linear algebra, and some more. So I need to learn some of these topic but i don't know in what order. So can anyone rank them and any other classes I missed in this sort of format:

1. AP calculus AB/BC
2. Calculus I
3. Calculus II
4. Calculus III- Multivariable Calculus

And so on...

So can anyone please help me out?

Help you out how? asen7 gave you an answer. While you only asked about Calculus course, the only thing I would add is that I would advise anyone taking differential equations to have taken Linear Algebra as a pre-requisite.

No, I already knew the courses up to Calc 3, but my question is what are the courses after that and the order in which you take them? And when do you take linear algebra in that sequence?

at UCLA

(After skipping w/e AP skips)

-Multivariable Calc (derivatives)
-Multivariable Calc(integrals)/Vector Calculus
-Linear Algebra
-Differential Equations

1. What is the typical order of calculus classes?

The typical order of calculus classes is Calculus I, followed by Calculus II, and then Calculus III. Some universities may also offer a specialized course called Multivariable Calculus after Calculus III.

2. What topics are covered in Calculus I?

Calculus I usually covers topics such as limits, derivatives, and applications of derivatives (such as optimization and related rates problems).

3. What topics are covered in Calculus II?

Calculus II usually covers topics such as integrals, techniques of integration, and applications of integrals (such as area and volume problems).

4. Why is Calculus III sometimes called Multivariable Calculus?

Calculus III is sometimes called Multivariable Calculus because it deals with functions of multiple variables, rather than just one variable like in Calculus I and II.

5. What are some common applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some common applications include finding rates of change, maximizing or minimizing quantities, and solving optimization problems.