Solving Romeo & Juliet's Love Dynamics: 1st Order Linear System of DEs

• Thread starter Mmula
  • Start date
In summary, when Romeo and Juliet first meet, they are attracted to each other but Juliet is not yet interested. Time is measured in days (0-50), and their love is measured on a scale from -5 to 5. As time goes on, their love grows stronger until they reach a 5 rating. However, their love eventually cools in proportion to how much Juliet loves Romeo.
Mmula
Need some help figuring this out...

Juliets love for Romeo cools in proportion to his love for her. Romeo's love for Juliet grows in proportion to her love for him.
When they first meet Romeo is immediately attracted to Juliet, but she is as yet indifferent.
Time is measured in days (0-50), and their love is measured on a scale from -5 to 5.
-5 : hatred
-2.5 disgust
0 - indifference
2.5 - attraction
5 - love

1. Model the situation by a 1st order linear system of differential equations with initial condition x(0)=2 , y(0)=0

Im looking at this site as a guide:
http://www.aw-bc.com/ide/idefiles/media/pdf/Documents/PART4/LABS/LAB18.PDF

but on part 1.1 I don't understand how they got the equations
dx/dt= -0.2y and dy/dt= 0.8x

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they've just picked arbitrary negative and positive numerical values; these are givens, rather than something you can derive.

Assuming x(t) is Juliet's love, and y(t) Romeo's, the statement "Juliets love for Romeo cools in proportion to his love for her. Romeo's love for Juliet grows in proportion to her love for him", tells us that dx/dt = (a negative number) * x, while dy/dt = (a positive number) * y. But we can't tell from this alone what the actual numbers will be.

If you look further down the page, you'll see that they modify the story, and change the equations to suit the new scenario.

So I can choose any values as long as dx/dt = (negative value)y and dy/dt= (positive value)x?
Also is there any other way I can model the situation using the love scale?

Oh, I just noticed, in their version, the scenario in 1.1 is the other way round from the way you stated it:

"Romeo's love for Juliet cools in proportion to her love for him. Juliet's love for Romeo grows in proportion to his love for her."

In that case, x must be Romeo's love, and y Juliet's.

But in answer to your question, yes, as long as the positive coefficient stays positive, and the negative one negative, and you don't introduce any other terms, I think your modified system would also be consistent with the verbal description here. And, unless I'm mistaken, any model with the same qualitative assumptions would take that form.

With dx/t= -ay and dy/dt= bx (a and b both positive), we can write this as the matrix equation
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x' \\ y'\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}0 & -a \\ b & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The characteristic equation for that matrix is [itex]\lambda^2+ ab= 0[/itex] so that [itex]\lambda^2= -ab[/itex] which, since a and b are both positive, has roots [itex]\lambda= \pm i\sqrt{ab}[/itex]. That is, this problem has imaginary eigenvalues which means that its solution trajectories are circles around the equilibrium solution, which is (0, 0).

Exactly how much Romeo and Juliet will love or hate each other depends upon those coefficients but, in any case, there will be times when Romeo and Juliet love each other, times when they hate each other, times when one loves but the other hates and this will keep happening, cyclicly.

:cry: it'll all end in tears! :cry:

1. How does the first order linear system of differential equations apply to Romeo and Juliet's love dynamics?

The first order linear system of differential equations can be used to model the changing dynamics of Romeo and Juliet's love throughout the play. This system takes into account the rate of change of their feelings for each other, as well as any external factors that may affect their relationship.

2. What are the variables in this system of differential equations?

The variables in this system include Romeo's and Juliet's individual feelings for each other, as well as any external factors such as their families' feud and societal expectations. These variables can be represented by different functions within the equations.

3. How does the system account for the changes in Romeo and Juliet's relationship over time?

The system uses the concept of derivatives to track the rate of change in their feelings for each other. As the play progresses, the equations can be updated to reflect any shifts in their emotions and the factors influencing them.

4. Can this system accurately predict the outcome of Romeo and Juliet's love story?

While the system can provide insights into the changing dynamics of their relationship, it cannot accurately predict the outcome of their love story. Other factors, such as the actions of other characters and unforeseen events, also play a significant role in the ultimate fate of Romeo and Juliet.

5. How can this system be useful in analyzing other literary works or real-life relationships?

This system can be applied to other literary works or real-life relationships to analyze the dynamics and changes in feelings between individuals. It can also be used to study the impact of external factors on relationships and how they can potentially affect their outcome.

Back