Controlling Timing of Electric Pulses to Electromagnets

In summary, the person is trying to figure out a way to control the timing of electric pulses to an array of electromagnets. They are looking for input from others and are not sure what the solution would be called. They are also looking into using an "H-Bridge" circuit.
nanosplit
Hi all, just came across the forum and I must say I am in heaven, great site!

I am trying to figure a way to control the timing of electric pulses to an array of electromagnets... some in the array need to just be controlled for standard on/off function, while others need to have control over polarity, ie cycling +/- to then -/+ to control attraction and repulsion...

I don't think there is any simple solution to this - but I would love some input... I am not sure what this would be called so I am having a hard time searching as I am not sure what the proper keywords would be...

Anywho thanks for any help that can be given!

Engineering news on Phys.org
nanosplit said:
Hi all, just came across the forum and I must say I am in heaven, great site!

I am trying to figure a way to control the timing of electric pulses to an array of electromagnets... some in the array need to just be controlled for standard on/off function, while others need to have control over polarity, ie cycling +/- to then -/+ to control attraction and repulsion...

I don't think there is any simple solution to this - but I would love some input... I am not sure what this would be called so I am having a hard time searching as I am not sure what the proper keywords would be...

Anywho thanks for any help that can be given!

Welcome to the PF.

To do the polarity switching, an "H-Bridge" circuit is often used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-bridge

Thanks berkeman, looks like that will do just what I want... was also looking at reed switch for timing, otherwise I would have to go with something like a cars distributor, although this method being mechanical I don't think would have the amount of control over precise timing as I would with a reed and the H-Bridge...

What is the purpose of controlling the timing of electric pulses to electromagnets?

The purpose of controlling the timing of electric pulses to electromagnets is to manipulate the strength and direction of the magnetic field created by the electromagnets. This allows for precise control over the motion and position of objects that are influenced by the magnetic field.

How does controlling the timing of electric pulses affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the electromagnet. By controlling the timing of electric pulses, the current can be varied, thus altering the strength of the magnetic field.

Can the timing of electric pulses be adjusted for different applications?

Yes, the timing of electric pulses can be adjusted to suit different applications. For example, a shorter pulse duration may be required for faster movements, while a longer pulse duration may be necessary for more precise movements.

What factors can affect the timing of electric pulses to electromagnets?

The timing of electric pulses to electromagnets can be affected by factors such as the voltage and current levels, the resistance of the circuit, and the inductance of the electromagnet. These factors must be carefully considered when designing a system for controlling the timing of electric pulses.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when controlling the timing of electric pulses to electromagnets?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when working with electric pulses and electromagnets. These may include using insulation materials, properly grounding the circuit, and following proper procedures for handling high voltages. It is important to consult safety guidelines and regulations before conducting any experiments or applications involving electric pulses and electromagnets.