Is there an explicit solution to the equation \sqrt{Ax-x^3}+\sqrt{Bx-x^3}=C?

• Thread starter Apteronotus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic Sort
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the equation \sqrt{Ax-x^3}+\sqrt{Bx-x^3}=C, with a focus on finding an explicit solution. The conversation mentions using MathLab, Maple, and WolframAlpha, but raises concerns about the possibility of missing solutions. Different approaches are suggested, including simplification, manipulation, and substitution. Eventually, a cubic equation is derived, which can be solved using a formula or by transforming it into a second-degree polynomial. The importance of checking solutions is also mentioned.
Apteronotus
Solving a cubic... sort of!

Hi,

Can the equation [itex]\sqrt{Ax-x^3}+\sqrt{Bx-x^3}=C[/itex] be solved explicitly?

All of MathLab, Maple and WolframAlpha seem to give an explicit solution but they don't show how they come to it. I'm afraid they may be missing other possible solutions.

Thanks,

Mathematics news on Phys.org

why not start by simplifying to
[tex] (\sqrt{A}+\sqrt{B})\sqrt{x-x^3} = C[/tex]

note that if you square things you may need to account for the fact the argument of a square root cannot be zero

why not start by simplifying to
Well, for starters, your factorization is incorrect...

good point, read it incorrectly, must be late ;)... will have another look

Last edited:

so i did a wolfram alpha check and the solution looks nasty... so there probably is a closed form method but its likely pretty involved & tedious, after looking at it closer, I can't see any easy way to simplify...

getting late, so I've probably made a mistake, but see what you think of this logic...
assume x>0 and hopefully we don't divide by zero anywhere
[tex] \sqrt{x}(\sqrt{A-x^2}+\sqrt{B-x^2})=C[/tex]
multiply by the rational to get
[tex] \sqrt{x}(A-B)=C(\sqrt{A-x^2}-\sqrt{B-x^2})[/tex]

re-arrange both to get
[tex] \sqrt{A-x^2}+\sqrt{B-x^2}=\frac{C}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
[tex] \sqrt{A-x^2}-\sqrt{B-x^2}=\frac{\sqrt{x}(A-B)}{C}[/tex]

adding and subtracting we get to
[tex] 2\sqrt{A-x^2}=\frac{C}{\sqrt{x}}+\frac{\sqrt{x}(A-B)}{C}[/tex]
[tex] 2\sqrt{B-x^2}= \frac{C}{\sqrt{x}}-\frac{\sqrt{x}(A-B)}{C}[/tex]

square both
[tex] 4(A-x^2)=\frac{C^2}{x}+2(A-B)+\frac{x(A-B)^2}{C^2}[/tex]
[tex] 2(B-x^2)= \frac{C^2}{x}-2(A-B)+\frac{x(A-B)^2}{C^2}[/tex]

which is starting to look a bit more tractable as in effect we can solve a cubic now...

Here's another thought...

In the original equation, solutions exist only for positive C, and both sides of the equation are trivially positive where solutions exist (in the real numbers).

Given this, square both sides of the equation; since if f(x) = g(x) and both f(x) and g(x) are positive, then [f(x)]^2 = [g(x)]^2 iff f(x) = g(x).

Rearrange terms so that only the radical term (only one remains after squaring) is on the right, and everything else is on the left of the equation. Clearly the right-hand side is positive, so solutions exist only when the left-hand side is positive... we must check our answers for x to ensure that this condition is satisfied. For now, square again.

Combine all like terms, and you arrive (unless I goofed) at an equation like this:

(4C^2)x^3 + (A^2 + B^2 - 2AB)x^2 - 2C^2(A + B)x + C^4 = 0.

This is a cubic equation in standard form, and since there is a method to solve cubics, this can be solved. Simply check the answers against the conditions we have identified and that should contain all answers...

Apteronotus said:
Hi,

Can the equation [itex]\sqrt{Ax-x^3}+\sqrt{Bx-x^3}=C[/itex] be solved explicitly?

[itex]\sqrt{Ax-x^3}+\sqrt{Bx-x^3}=C[/itex]

so

[itex]C(\sqrt{Ax-x^3}-\sqrt{Bx-x^3}) = Ax-x^3-(Bx-x^3) = (A-B)x[/itex]

from the original equation

[itex]\sqrt{Bx-x^3}=C-\sqrt{Ax-x^3}[/itex]

which we can insert into our new equation:

[itex](A-B)x = C(\sqrt{Ax-x^3}-(C-\sqrt{Ax-x^3})) = 2C\sqrt{Ax-x^3}-C^2[/itex]

[itex]2C\sqrt{Ax-x^3} = (A-B)x+C^2[/itex]

squaring yields

[itex]2C(Ax-x^3) = (A-B)^2x^2+2C^2(A-B)x+C^4[/itex]

i.e.

[itex]2Cx^3+(A-B)^2x^2 + (2C^2(A-B) - 2AC)x+C^4 = 0[/itex]

which can be solved using the formula for third-degree polynomials.

If you want to solve it yourself without the formula, I suggest the following:
- do a linear transformation of x to remove the coefficient of x^2
- substitute x = y+a/y for a suitable constant a to transform it into a second-degree polynomial equation in y^2

Note that we may have generated more solutions that there are by squaring, so make sure that you are finding the correct ones.

disregardthat said:
[itex]2C\sqrt{Ax-x^3} = (A-B)x+C^2[/itex]

squaring yields

[itex]2C(Ax-x^3) = (A-B)^2x^2+2C^2(A-B)x+C^4[/itex]

You forgot to square the 2C in going to the second line there.

^ Does that mean his reduction to a cubic yields the same thing that I said in the post before his?

I think we've all done the same thing in essence - your post in #7 probably gives the clearest method

Mute said:
You forgot to square the 2C in going to the second line there.

Thanks, I will correct it.

EDIT: apparently I can't do it now.

yeah I think you have to get in within a certain time frame

1. How do you solve a cubic sort of equation?

To solve a cubic sort of equation, you can use the cubic formula or the graphical method. The cubic formula involves substituting the coefficients of the equation into a formula and solving for the roots. The graphical method involves plotting the equation on a graph and finding the points where the graph crosses the x-axis, which are the roots.

2. Can you give an example of a cubic sort of equation?

One example of a cubic sort of equation is x^3 + 4x^2 - 3x - 18 = 0. This equation has three terms with the highest degree being 3, making it a cubic equation.

3. What are the possible number of solutions for a cubic sort of equation?

A cubic sort of equation can have either one, two, or three real solutions. However, it is also possible for a cubic equation to have no real solutions, in which case the solutions would be complex numbers.

4. Are there any special cases when solving a cubic sort of equation?

Yes, there are two special cases when solving a cubic sort of equation. The first case is when the equation has a repeated root, meaning one of the solutions appears twice. The second case is when the equation has three real solutions, but two of them are equal.

5. How is solving a cubic sort of equation useful in real life?

Solving a cubic sort of equation is useful in many real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving volume, distance, and time, among others. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum points of a curve, which is important in optimization problems.