Finding all zeros of a Polynomial

• Thread starter ninjamonke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the function has one real and one imaginary zero, and the four zeros can be found using Rational Roots Theorem and synthetic division.
ninjamonke

Homework Statement

Find all zeros of k(x) = 4x^4-7x^2+3x

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I should find the factors of 0 and 4.. Can you help me what to start out with.. I can do other ones like p(x) = 3x^3-37x^2+84x-24. But this problem k(x) = 4x^4-7x^2+3x doesn't have the last number to factor. can't factor the 0..

Physics news on Phys.org
Factor out x first.

k(x) = 4x^4-7x^2+3x

Start with k(x) = x(4x3 - 7x + 3)

Try to use Rational Roots Theorem to look for rational zeros. One of the zeros is obviously x=0, but you are now interested in the zeros of the degree-three polynomial.

Oh. I didn't know you could factor it. I got these zeros. 0, +-1, +-3, +-3/2, +-3/4.

ninjamonke said:
+-1, +-3, +-3/2, +-3/4.

They're not necessarily zeros (and it's impossible to have this many zeros since you're looking at a polynomial of degree 3). Now test each value and see if you obtain 0.

gb7nash said:
They're not necessarily zeros (and it's impossible to have this many zeros since you're looking at a polynomial of degree 3). Now test each value and see if you obtain 0.

Ok. I got x=0, x=1, and x=-3/2.

ninjamonke said:
Ok. I got x=0, x=1, and x=-3/2.

The function has one additional Real zero. All four zeros appear to be rational when checked quickly on a graphing calculator.

symbolipoint said:
The function has one additional Real zero. All four zeros appear to be rational when checked quickly on a graphing calculator.

I don't have a graphing calculator atm. Can you tell me which is the other one? I couldn't find it using the synthetic division.

ninjamonke said:
I don't have a graphing calculator atm. Can you tell me which is the other one? I couldn't find it using the synthetic division.

You do not really need a graphing calculator; I just used one to check "quickly" what to expect. What you should do is recheck the Rational Roots Theorem, and make sure that you found all the roots which should be tested. You may have easily missed a couple or so of them.

For a fourth order equation, if you have found three of the roots, you should be able to reduce the original equation to find the final remaining root. Recheck your division.

ninjamonke said:
There are plenty of web resources for plotting graphs. http://fooplot.com/index.php?q0=4x^4-7x^2+3x

A graph will allow you to get visually close to the value, though you still need to check to see whether the value is an exact solution.

Yes, you can immediately factor out x to get [itex]x(4x^3- 7x+ 3)[/itex]. As you say, the only possible rational roots of that cubic are 1, -1, 1/4, -1/4, 1/2, -1/2, 3/4, -3/4, 3/2, -3/2. You don't need a graphing calculator to see that [itex]4(1^3)- 7(1)+ 3= 0[/itex]!

Dividing [itex]4x^3- 7x+ 3[/itex] by x- 1 you get [itex]4x^2+ 4x- 3[/itex]. So you have a [itex]4x^4- 7x^2+ 3x= x(x- 1)(4x^2+ 4x- 3)[/itex]. That last quadratic is easy to factor- although you could also use the quadratic formula if it weren't.

1. How do I find the zeros of a polynomial?

To find the zeros of a polynomial, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, graphing, or using the rational root theorem. These methods involve manipulating the polynomial equation to solve for the values of x that make the equation equal to zero.

2. Why is it important to find all the zeros of a polynomial?

Finding all the zeros of a polynomial helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of the function. It also allows us to identify important points on the graph such as x-intercepts and turning points.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one zero?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple zeros. In fact, the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that a polynomial of degree n will have n complex zeros, which may be repeated.

4. How do I know if I have found all the zeros of a polynomial?

If you have used a reliable method and have checked your work, then you can be confident that you have found all the zeros of a polynomial. You can also use the fact that the number of zeros should match the degree of the polynomial.

5. Can I use technology to find the zeros of a polynomial?

Yes, there are many software and online tools that can help you find the zeros of a polynomial. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods of finding zeros, rather than relying solely on technology.