Contemporary applications of Classical Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of classical mechanics and its applications in the study of dark matter. The individual is seeking suggestions for a research topic and mentions the use of rotational speed in galaxies and galaxy clusters to approximate the amount of dark matter in the universe. They also inquire if this is still the primary method for calculating the amount of dark matter. The topic of turbulence is also briefly mentioned.
nkunka
Hey guys,

First time posting. I was thinking of starting an extra credit paper for my Physics 1A course, and was wondering if anybody could think of any noteworthy and recent applications of classical mechanics that I could do some research on. I was thinking of maybe pursuing dark matter as a topic. I know that early "detections" of dark matter relied on observations of the rotational speed of galaxies and galaxy clusters to approximate the mass within, thus discovering the discrepancy between the observable matter in those galaxies and what it should be. Is this still the primary means by which the amount of dark matter in the universe is calculated? Any nudges in any direction are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Turbulence.

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It was developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century and is still widely used today to describe the motion of macroscopic objects.

2. How is Classical Mechanics relevant to modern applications?

Classical Mechanics provides the foundation for many modern applications, such as engineering, robotics, and space travel. It is used to design and analyze structures, predict the behavior of moving objects, and understand the motion of celestial bodies.

3. What are some examples of modern applications of Classical Mechanics?

Some examples of contemporary applications of Classical Mechanics include designing efficient car engines, creating stable structures for skyscrapers, launching satellites into orbit, and predicting the motion of planets and comets in our solar system.

4. How does Classical Mechanics differ from other branches of physics?

Classical Mechanics is distinguished from other branches of physics, such as Quantum Mechanics, by its focus on macroscopic objects and its ability to accurately predict the behavior of these objects under the influence of forces. It also relies on deterministic principles, meaning that the future behavior of a system can be predicted from its initial conditions.

5. What are some current challenges in applying Classical Mechanics to modern technologies?

One challenge is the need to account for relativistic effects, which become more significant at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. Another challenge is the need for more accurate and precise measurements, as even small errors can have significant impacts on complex systems. Additionally, incorporating Classical Mechanics with other branches of physics, such as Quantum Mechanics, is an ongoing challenge in the development of new technologies.