Troubleshooting Voltmeter Reading w/ Resistance 5*10^4

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with using a voltmeter to measure voltage between point b and ground. The formula V = I_fs (R_c + R_s) is mentioned, and the person tried solving for V using the given values but their answer was off. Another person suggests taking into account the voltmeter's resistance in parallel with the 200k-ohm resistor to get a new ratio for the voltages at a and b. The first person initially doesn't understand how this helps, but then later thanks the other person for their help.
joshanders_84
This is another problem I am having troubles with. Here's the prompt:

What is the reading of a voltmeter with the proper range and with resistance 5*10^4 Ohms when connected between point b and ground?

I know that for voltmeters, V = I_fs (R_c + R_s), and I tried solving for V using the I through the system as I_fs, which I solved as (400V/300000) = .001333, and then using 5*10^4 and 200000 as the resistors, but it says my answer is off by an additive constant. I don't understand what I am dong wrong...all help is appreciated. Thanks
Josh

Attachments

• grounded.jpg
    grounded.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
If the voltmeter wasn't there, or was perfect, then the voltage at b would be 2/3 of that at a.

Now when the voltmeter is present, its resistance is in parallel with the 200k-ohm resistor, so you can calculate the equivalent resistance of the parallel combination, and get a new ratio for the voltages at a and b.

Likes berkeman
I don't understand how that helps...sorry. I just don't get what I am doing wrong still, or how the above would help me go further...

o i ci I got it now, thank you

1. What does "Troubleshooting Voltmeter Reading w/ Resistance 5*10^4" mean?

The term "troubleshooting voltmeter reading w/ resistance 5*10^4" refers to the process of identifying and fixing any issues or discrepancies in the voltage readings on a voltmeter when using a resistance of 5*10^4 ohms.

2. How do I troubleshoot my voltmeter reading with a resistance of 5*10^4?

To troubleshoot your voltmeter reading with a resistance of 5*10^4, you can follow these steps:

• Ensure that the voltmeter is properly connected to the circuit and that the connections are secure.
  • Check the resistance setting on the voltmeter and make sure it is set to 5*10^4 ohms.
  • Verify that the voltmeter is functioning properly by testing it on a known voltage source.
  • If the voltmeter is functioning correctly, check the circuit for any loose or faulty components that may be affecting the voltage readings.

3. Why is it important to use a resistance of 5*10^4 when troubleshooting voltmeter readings?

The resistance of a voltmeter plays a crucial role in accurately measuring voltage. Using a resistance of 5*10^4 ensures that the voltmeter is properly calibrated and can accurately measure the voltage in the circuit. Using a different resistance value can result in inaccurate readings and potentially damage the voltmeter.

4. What could be causing inconsistent voltmeter readings with a resistance of 5*10^4?

Inconsistent voltmeter readings with a resistance of 5*10^4 could be caused by a number of factors, including loose connections, faulty components, or a malfunctioning voltmeter. It is important to carefully check all components in the circuit and verify that the voltmeter is functioning correctly to determine the cause of the inconsistent readings.

5. Can I use a different resistance value when troubleshooting voltmeter readings?

No, it is important to always use the specified resistance value when troubleshooting voltmeter readings. Using a different resistance value can lead to inaccurate readings and potentially damage the voltmeter. If you are experiencing issues with readings, it is best to troubleshoot using the recommended resistance and address any underlying issues in the circuit.