Troubleshooting Latex Equations: Tips for Viewing Code on Offline Pages

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter xAxis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: If you're saving a page and then viewing it later while offline, the equations will not render.In summary, the speaker has been experiencing issues with equations not appearing when they download pages from a cafe and read them at home due to not having an internet connection. They wonder if enabling javascript or configuring Mathjax can solve the problem. The other person suggests refreshing the page and explains that the equations are now rendered on the client side using Mathjax scripts from a CDN. They also mention that the equations may not render when viewing pages offline. The speaker is advised to check a thread for previous solutions and clarify how they are downloading the pages.
xAxis
Hi. As I currenhaven't got the internet, I occasionaly download pages from cafe and read at ho9me. But I can't see the equations, only the code itself. This has been hapening for some time even with the latest IE. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX is rendered by a code that is loaded separately from the page code, could be it doesn't work when you are not connected. Perhaps Mathjax can be configured to work off line?

Borek said:
LaTeX is rendered by a code that is loaded separately from the page code, could be it doesn't work when you are not connected. Perhaps Mathjax can be configured to work off line?

No because every page links to the CDN.

What is CDN?..Anyways, I hoped someone had the same problem and that there was some addon or tex that I'm missing.
Interestingly, the code from other sites that use latex works fine. (the ones that generate the pngs). And I also remember that I used to download from PF before and it usually (if not always) worked.
Thanks

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but sometimes this happens to me and I just refresh the page.

xAxis said:
What is CDN?..Anyways, I hoped someone had the same problem and that there was some addon or tex that I'm missing.
Interestingly, the code from other sites that use latex works fine. (the ones that generate the pngs). And I also remember that I used to download from PF before and it usually (if not always) worked.

Some time ago we changed the way LaTeX is treated - before each LaTeX equation was rendered as an image and stored on the server (which meant we had literally millions of the pictures that were occupying server space), now LaTeX is rendered on the client side using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathjax. Mathjax scripts are downloaded by your computer from CDN - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

Please check this thread to see if the problems you see were not addressed earlier: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=499624

What exactly do you mean when you say you download the pages? If you're loading the pages in a browser at the cafe, the equations should render at that time.

1. Why can't I see latex equations?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be that your browser does not support rendering latex equations, or the website you are viewing the equations on does not have the proper plugins or coding to display them. It is also possible that your device or browser has settings that prevent the display of latex equations.

2. How do I enable latex equation viewing?

If you are using a browser that does not support rendering latex equations, you can try using a different browser or installing a plugin that allows for the display of equations. If you are viewing the equations on a website, try refreshing the page or checking the website's settings for equation display options.

3. Do I need special software to view latex equations?

No, you do not need any special software to view latex equations. Most modern browsers have built-in support for rendering equations, and there are also several free plugins and extensions available for different browsers that allow for the display of equations.

4. Can I view latex equations on my mobile device?

Yes, you can view latex equations on your mobile device as long as your browser supports the rendering of equations or you have installed a plugin or app that allows for equation display. However, the equations may appear differently on a smaller screen and may require zooming in or scrolling to view them properly.

5. Is there a way to copy and paste latex equations?

Yes, you can copy and paste latex equations just like any other text. However, depending on the program or website you are pasting the equation into, you may need to use a special paste function or adjust the formatting to display the equation correctly.