Homework Help Thread Status Indicator

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
In summary, there have been suggestions in the past for a thread status indicator icon in the homework section to show if a thread is unresolved or resolved. However, due to time constraints and the possibility of insulting those who have replied, it has not been implemented. It is also suggested to post [Resolved] in the thread title when a question is solved, but this is not always done by the OP. There is a fundamental problem with follow-up and closure in the homework section, which may be due to apathy, embarrassment, or finding the answer elsewhere. A solution of manual follow-up by mentors or HH may be too time-consuming and could potentially upset those who have replied. Overall, there is a need for better closure and follow-up in
ArcanaNoir
Maybe it would be cool if there were a thread status indicator icon for threads in the homework section where the OP could designate "unresolved" until they had come to the solution, at which point the thread could be marked "resolved". That way people browsing the homework help sections for people in need of help could easily determine which threads are worth reading. Also, I think threads with no replies get a lot more views than threads with even one or two replies, which can make the opportunities to be helped shrink after what may not have been a helpful reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:
Maybe it would be cool if there were a thread status indicator icon for threads in the homework section where the OP could designate "unresolved" until they had come to the solution, at which point the thread could be marked "resolved". That way people browsing the homework help sections for people in need of help could easily determine which threads are worth reading. Also, I think threads with no replies get a lot more views than threads with even one or two replies, which can make the opportunities to be helped shrink after what may not have been a helpful reply.

We've discussed solutions in the past, the easiest way is with the prefixes, but it's impossible given our edit time constraints.

Isn't it suggested somewhere in the rules to post [Resolved] at your thread title when a question is solved?

Pengwuino said:
Isn't it suggested somewhere in the rules to post [Resolved] at your thread title when a question is solved?

You only should post "Resolved" if you solved it, forgot how you did it, then solved it again.

lisab said:
You only should post "Resolved" if you solved it, forgot how you did it, then solved it again.

Or if you found two different proofs for the same problem!

A simple, "Thanks for helping me solve this", or "Solved - thanks" as the last post works very nicely.

ArcanaNoir said:

That really is in my opinion a fundamental problem in here for several reasons:

(1) Apathy on the part of the OP
(2) Embarrassement on the part of the OP
(3) They got the answer on another forum and are too lazy to follow up
(4) Sometimes even I bet if you ask them, "did you get it?" you won't get a reply because they've gone off somwhere to something else

and I believe the only solution is manual follow-up by mentors or HH who then make a judgement call and mark the post as finished or not but I think that would take too much time to manage not to mention it may insult those who have replied and see their comments were "inadequate". Too bad in my opinion. I personally do not like to see things fall through the cracks.

1. What is the "Homework Help Thread Status Indicator"?

The "Homework Help Thread Status Indicator" is a feature on online forums and discussion boards that allows users to mark their thread as either "open" or "closed". This helps other users know whether or not the original poster is still actively seeking help on their homework question.

2. How do I use the Homework Help Thread Status Indicator?

To use the Homework Help Thread Status Indicator, simply click on the button or link that says "Mark as Open" or "Mark as Closed" depending on the status you want for your thread. This will update the indicator next to your thread title and let other users know if you still need assistance.

3. Why is the Homework Help Thread Status Indicator important?

The Homework Help Thread Status Indicator is important because it helps to keep the forum organized and efficient. It allows users to easily see which threads are still active and in need of help, and which ones have been resolved. This saves time and effort for both the original poster and other users who are browsing the forum.

4. Can I change the status of my thread after marking it as "closed"?

Yes, you can change the status of your thread at any time. If you have marked it as "closed" but still need further assistance, you can click on the "Mark as Open" button to update the indicator. Similarly, if you have marked your thread as "open" but have found a solution, you can click on the "Mark as Closed" button to update the status.

5. Is the Homework Help Thread Status Indicator available on all forums?

No, the Homework Help Thread Status Indicator may not be available on all forums. It depends on the platform and the forum's settings. If you do not see this feature on a particular forum, you can always manually update your thread's status by adding a note or comment indicating whether it is still open or closed.