Loose cursor during editing session

• Bug
  • Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, some users are experiencing issues with losing their cursor while editing in the forum. This problem seems to occur intermittently and may be related to other programs or browsers being used. Some users have also reported difficulty scrolling and potential concerns about hacking or security issues.
jackmell
May I ask if there is a problem with the editing session? Sometimes, intermittently, I loose the cursor when I'm editing. I can still edit but I don't see the location of the cursor. Is this on my end or is it a forum problem?

Thanks,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
I've experienced a similar thing with my laptop when my touchpad is on. But it's not just PF, it's every program. It's very annoying, but luckily it's easy to turn off the touchpad.

jackmell said:
May I ask if there is a problem with the editing session? Sometimes, intermittently, I loose the cursor when I'm editing. I can still edit but I don't see the location of the cursor. Is this on my end or is it a forum problem?

Thanks,
Jack

I've had the same problem in the quick edit/reply window. Also, in same window I can't scroll up beyond the current window frame even if the text extends beyond the frame.

jackmell said:

Thanks,
Jack

I have the some problem quite often. I use Mozilla Firefox browser.

ehild

know what, I think we're hosed. Really hate loosing control over my operating system. Don't know exactly what's running on my machine these days and have you ever tried to figure out what! Yeah, that's a lesson in frustration. I mean how do I know this cursor thing is not some hacker software on my machine? I can tell you how: Another lesson in fustration.

I use to be good with computers. Now though I'm just a regular-Joe held hostage by an overly-complicated computer system just like all the other common-folk out there. I'm hosed alright.

1. What is a "loose cursor" in an editing session?

A "loose cursor" refers to a cursor that is not properly anchored to a specific position on the screen or document during an editing session. This can happen when there is a delay or lag in the cursor's movement, causing it to appear to be floating or moving in an uncontrolled manner.

2. Why does the cursor become loose during an editing session?

The cursor can become loose during an editing session due to a variety of factors, such as a slow or overloaded computer, software glitches, or a malfunctioning mouse or keyboard. It can also occur if the editing software is not optimized for the user's device or if there are conflicts with other programs running on the device.

3. How can I fix a loose cursor during an editing session?

There are several steps you can take to fix a loose cursor during an editing session. First, try closing any unnecessary programs or tabs to free up memory and processing power. You can also try updating your editing software or device drivers, as well as adjusting the sensitivity or acceleration settings for your mouse or trackpad. If the issue persists, try restarting your computer or using a different input device.

4. Can a loose cursor affect the accuracy of my edits?

Yes, a loose cursor can significantly impact the accuracy of your edits. When the cursor is not properly anchored, it can be challenging to click on and select specific elements in your document, leading to errors or mistakes. It can also make it difficult to navigate through the document or perform precise edits.

5. Is there a way to prevent a loose cursor during editing sessions?

While it is not always possible to prevent a loose cursor, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of it occurring. These include regularly updating your software and device drivers, using a computer with sufficient processing power, and avoiding having too many programs or tabs open while editing. Additionally, using a high-quality mouse or trackpad and adjusting its settings can help prevent cursor issues.